Volvo 7 series Turbo?

For the old (but awesome 700 series) - how long do you think the turbo is good for.

If I purchase an old 700 series turbo with more than 270 000KM what are the weak spots I should be looking for.

In my searches, I have noticed the bodies on the 86-88s are in great shape.

I heard that I should not touch a Volvo 700 series with a Turbo with more than 270 000km.

Any truth to this?

Comments?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

Reply to
tmuldoon

As that is only 168,000 miles why are you worrying? If the car runs well and shows no sign of turbo problems (check on the service history, if there has been turbo trouble it should show) it will probably last another 168,000 miles. Should you get advanced wear on your turbo just do a core unit replacement.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

My '89 740t has 278,000 miles on the chassis and engine, the turbo has been replaced once. The car runs very well and is still quite fast for it's age. I would not hesitate to buy another as long as the service records were available.

Don

Reply to
don hodgdon

Ours is doing fine at more than 230K miles.

Look under the hood to see if the small wires (like the one that goes to the light on the underside of the hood still have good insulation. This series was made in the time of the biodegradable wiring.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It depends on too many factors to predict. They all had water cooled turbos so that helps. The Mitsubishi turbos seem to last longer than the Garrett but that's just what I've observed. I have 265K (miles) on one and it still works, I would expect you'd get at least 150K before needing a turbo rebuild.

Reply to
James Sweet