Volvo 740 Fabric

HI All, The interior ceiling fabric is coming loose. There are two 'airbubbles" really big that turned up suddenly. It's not wet or anything so can't be a sunroof clog.. I can't figure out what happen. Anyone seen this happend before? It seems like the only way this can happen is if the fabric stretched but someone would have to pull on it for this to happen.

The same thing happend to my dad's 760. Same place where the fabric came lose. His remedy was thumbtacks yuck!

Frank Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
Frank

This is the achilles heal of the 700 series, at least up until a certain year they all do it, the foam rots and there's nothing you can do to prevent or fix it other than removing the headliner and reupholstering it. I just finished mine a couple months ago and on a sedan it's an enormous job, to get the headliner in/out you have to bend it nearly to the point of it snapping and that was with all the seats and the center console out. On a wagon it's much easier but still very tedious to scrape all the old foam off.

Reply to
James Sweet

It seems Volvo had brain failure with 700 headlinings - this is a recurring topic. The fabric is coming away from the headlining shell - I think the foam backing collapses. You could try cutting a little hole and spraying aerosol fabric adhesive behind it, but the long term answer is going to be replacement.

Have a look here:

Stewart Hargrave

May want to look at this forum:

Good luck, Joe

Reply to
jdunville

One other thing I can add, if I were to do it again, I'd have someone come pull the windshield and then reinstall it when the headliner is done.

Reply to
James Sweet

I need to do this myself, but my goodness, isn't that a little overkill? Isn't there another way?

So essentially, your saying the ipd kit is not very user friendly?

Reply to
Matthew Pierce

The IPD kit is fine, though you can buy everything in the kit minus their instructions for a lot less elsewhere. There's just no easy way to do it, the headliner was installed before the glass was in the factory and was never designed to come out through the doors. It can be done, but when you try it the first time you'll swear it can't. At the very least try it in a wrecking yard before you tear into your own car.

Reply to
James Sweet