Volvo 740 hesitations

I have a volvo 740 sedan (152000 mi) that hesitates/sputters, especially when cold and taking of from standing still and ocationally/randomly at other times. It also runs a little rough when driving at constant speed. This started after the car broke down (due to stalling and sputtering) and I had to replace the oxygen mirror. I had a complete tune up done and I also had the mechanic double check the oxygen mirror and everything seems ok. I also had them check the fuel pump/system and it works good. I did a injector fuel cleaning at mechanic and after/during that the car ran good/normal. After driving up a tank the problem reoccured.

Things I know can effect this are: I have some soot on the engine, at the manifold gasket, at one "cylinder" that appeared during the breakdown and there might be air leaking in through there. Also I drive it on regular and I have not yet tried to drive it on any other fuel grade. However,I do not believe that it would make a big difference.

I would like to know what else it could be.

Also I am considering doing a 150000 mi service which, from what I understand, includes changing the timing belt. It has been done once before at 50000 mi according to previous owner and I was wondering if it is nessesary/worth the money to do it again at this high milage (152000).

I am very greatfull for any help.

Reply to
Perek75

Hi,

try pouring a bit of water over the inlet manifold and if you hear it getting sucked in, replace the gasket.

Reply to
Peter