Volvo 740 radio question

I have a 1989 Volvo 740 and I am looking to replace the stock AM/FM cassette radio with a CD player. I've been told, though, that the car may have a amplifier that would require rewiring with any installation and would add additional cost. My question is: is this true and would it present any problems for an installer?

Reply to
M. Looney

The way to find the answer is to yank the radio out (easy) and see if there are four pairs of speaker wires coming out the back, or a fat black cable snaking off to an amplifier.

It is an easier wiring job if there is no external amp, but really no big deal really if there is one. It may take an extra hour to locate and wire into the speaker wires downstream of the amp.

RF

Reply to
Ritchard Findlay

Usually there's an amp for the rear speakers, it's up above the driver's knees covered by the panel there, pretty easy to remove and bypass.

Reply to
James Sweet

I replaced mine 2 yrs ago with a CD player as well. The amp as menstioned is right above your knees in the driver's side. It powers the rear speakers. The installer just charged me an extra $20 to bypass it. Just make sure you get the correct bracket sizing for the Volvo Radio slot. Get one specifically for Volvo.

The speakers really suck, paper. I may replace them later too.

"M. Looney" wrote in news:4022ec6b$0$8369$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

Reply to
Jenn Chang

You might want to check

. They include the correct adapters necessary to interface with the original radio harness.

--

-don

'81 242t '89 744ti

Reply to
don hodgdon

Well the speakers probably don't suck, they are just worn out. Paper speakers tend to produce a more natural sound then plastic coned speakers.

Reply to
Rob Guenther