Volvo 760 A/C, worth fixing?

Hi all,

My A/C in my 1987 Volvo 760GLE hasn't worked in years (probably at least 8 years).

The car has 245,000kms, B230F, and I would like to keep this car around for another 5 years or so (at least until Alfa Romeo returns to North America/Canada!!)

So, if reasonable in cost, I'm wondering if it is worth repairing the A/C. Most of the work I can perform myself, the clutch does not kick in (no pressure in system), and I think the condenser has a hole in it.

Typically, what needs to be replaced? (other than the obvious damaged components, and O-rings/adapters for new style refrigerant).

Compressor? Evaporator? Dryer? I guess a leak test can be performed (they fill it with Nitrogen?).

A/C would be nice, I think it's gonna be a hot summer!! (Toronto summer = a few weeks of super hot temps, :( but still worth having A/C.

I believe I've got enough skill and the tools (I've got the proper tools to separate the hose connectors) to do such a repair, at least to minimize the cost. Then hoping my local shop can test it and then fill it. I think retrofits are only 80% efficient, but 80% A/C is better than none.

Reply to
Myron Samila

Volvo sells a kit that I bought to convert the AC in my '87, it was actually much easier than I expected. I did have to replace one hose separately, but the kit contains a new reciever/dryer, orifice tube, some O rings, fittings, and a bottle of new oil. I had to remove the compressor and drain it, then refill with new oil. Remove the old reciever/dryer then flush out the hoses with solvent and install the new one. Borrowed a vacuum pump to pump it down then charged it, all in all it cost me about $200 to get it up and running, still works.

Reply to
James Sweet

America/Canada!!)

Reply to
Martijn

Myron,

If you donnot like maintenance then don't buy Alfa Romeo.

Reply to
Martijn

fill it with

hoping my local

but 80% A/C

The kit that James is talking about is to convert to R134a and includes a new drier, expansion orifice and all the orings. What normally goes wrong with the rest of the system is everything, although evaporator failures are rare. I bet your compressor is dead as a start. It seems your condenser needs to be replaced. The aluminum pipes don't hold up too well in our climate, and if they're good now, some will break as they get moved while replacing other components.

Reply to
Mike F

The reciever dryer is located on the passenger side inner wheelwell next to the cowl. There is a large two wire connector on it. Pull it off, use a paper clip to short the two wires. If the compressor kicks on, you have a leak That is the low pressure switch.If it doesn't kick on, see if there is voltage on one of the connectors. Check for ground on the other one. If you have voltage and ground, the compressor clutch is bad.

(they fill it with

hoping my local

efficient, but 80% A/C

Reply to
Rod Gray

I didn't say I don't like maintenance.... ;)

I said I do, just is the A/C worth fixing.

BTW: I've had many Alfas, Fiats, almost bought a Maserati Bi-Turbo at auction yesterday....

I own 3 Fiat X1/9s, and race a GT prepped X1/9 in competition (Mosport, SMP) in Canada. So maintenance is not out of my reach.

Also, Alfa has proven with the new 156, that reliability and Alfa can be said in the same sentence, positively speaking.

Reply to
Myron Samila

There is no pressure, I believe I mentioned I have a massive hole in my condenser ;) hence, no pressure.

I've already tested the clutch, and it functions, the A/C compressor doesn't growl or anything (no bearing noise), but it is unknown if it will work.

Thanks

Reply to
Myron Samila

America/Canada!!)

A/C. Most of the

(they fill it with

= a few weeks of

to separate the

Then hoping my local

efficient, but 80% A/C

It depends very much on your location, the only AC compressor failure I've ever seen was when the clutch siezed and ran the dry compressor after the system had leaked out. Here in the northwest AC is rarely used and tends to fail from seals drying out from disuse before anything else.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'd say it's unlikely any compressor is still going to work after not being used for years (8 years in this case) in any climate. And he's in my climate, which is much harder on everything corrosion-wise than yours is, unfortunately for us.

Reply to
Mike F