Volvo 760 GLE sagging in the rear :( common?

Hi all,

I have a 1987 Volvo 760 GLE (solid rear axle) and its sitting quite low in the rear as if the springs are sagging. Is this common? I've seen a couple of cars like this, and I guess the only way to remedy this is to replace the springs. They sell these little rubber spring things!??! to help raise it up, I wonder how the ride would be, as the travel of the spring would be limited (it is now, it hits the bump stops way too early).

Reply to
Myron Samila REMOVE NO SPAM

Oh,

I also just installed new aftermarket rear shocks, and from what I gather, I need to change the rear springs as well. The Nivomatics are self leveling, and the main spring is probably too weak to keep the car up?!?! Well, I guess this will have to be done.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Myron Samila REMOVE NO SPAM

the main spring is

way too early).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

the main spring is

way too early).

Reply to
G Klein

the main spring is

way too early).

There is a train of thought on brickboard that suggests that a car with a sagging rear actually has worn Front springs which actually expand with age. Replace the front ones too and the car sits level. I have one in my drive that displays the nose up symptoms, but haven't taken off the springs to check this out. Maybe I will, but the car is destined for the scrapyard - too much rust.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

rear as if

IIRC all the 760's were originally fitted with Nivomats. Consequently they had a low spring rate to allow the shocks to pump up. Many owners simply installed standard shocks as a replacement. Check the wire diameter against a set from 740 wagon in a salvage yard. If it's the same opt for new springs. If it's larger swap in the used springs.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

the rear as if

Did it have Nivomats to begin with? I was under the impression that only the IRS cars got those, but maybe the solid axels did too. Either way if it had them you need to replace the springs with ones from a 740 if you don't use Nivomat shocks. Another cause of a sagging rear end is bad bushings, with the age of the car there's a good chance yours are quite worn by now.

Reply to
James Sweet

Solid rear axle spring coil diameters are - Sedan (Saloon) 11.3mm, Estate (Wagon) 11.8mm, Nivo springs (both Sedan and Estate) only 9.8mm.

I'm in the process of converting my standard shocks to Nivo's. I know most of you guys are anti-Nivo but I happened to buy a pair of them brand new at a very good price, they're made by Sachs and they only cost me AU$550 (US$390), and I prefer the softer ride offered by these shocks. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT (B230F) - daily driver '73 Volvo 164E - awaiting repair & restoration

Reply to
William Liao

Reply to
Rob Guenther