Volvo 850 electric antenna lubrication

My electric antennae is having a tough time going up and down. It makes a rubbing noise like it needs lubricating. I am thinking graphite. Any opinions? Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Phillips

Jerry Phillips decided to add:

Had to completely dismantle mine to remove old grease and grit that had got in with it - I used a general "cheapo" thick motor grease to literally fill the whole mechanism - no problems since, just a build up every now and then on the outer cap that needs wiping off...

Reply to
bigjon

Reply to
John Robertson

You need to remove the mast and properly clean the whole gubbins initially with a solvent to get all the old crusty crap off it before re-lubing.

With the mast down, undo the cap nut at the base of the mast, then using a small screwdriver prise up the collar, whose shoulder is just visable after removing the cap nut.

then with an assistant manning the radio, power on and as the mast comes up keep pulling on it up and out from the car with the plastic drive wire following, which will snap back into a coil as it comes out.

Clean and lightly reoil / grease.

Refitting, with radio on feed the coil back down at the same angle as it came out til it stops. Turn off radio and manipulate the wire back down persuading the motor to grab it. This might need afew attempts.

Re assemble collar and cap nut and test.

If its been sticking for too long the 'cogs' on the drive wire may be damaged and replacing the mast is the only option. In the UK they are kept in stock at the dealer and are just under 30UKP.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..