Volvo 850 resale value

I have recently updated my wife's Volvo to a second hand V70 and as it was a private purchase I am now left with a 1993 850GLE which I have been trying to sell for nearly 4 months. I've advertised for 6 weeks in the car section of the newspaper, 4 weeks in Autotrader, 6 weeks in the Quokka (local trading paper) and on the web. Its not that people don't like what they see, its that only 3 people have called and the one that turned up said she was really after a 740. I started at $7200 and am now down to $4,990 which I thought would be cheap. Does anyone have any info on where to advertise and how much is a fair price for this type of vehicle?

Reply to
JohnM

AUD$5,000 isn't cheap; AUD$4,000 is cheap. You might get more interest after Christmas, when the worried parents buy 'legendary Volvo safety' for their off-to-university children. Unfortunately 'legendary Volvo fuel economy' doesn't exist, and it's fuel that is driving the market at the moment.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

Another issue is that people who know Volvos will shy away from a '93 or even a '94 850 because of automatic transmission problems (if yours is an automatic) that resulted in a very high failure rate in '93, and early hydraulic lifter failure in the '93 and some '94 model year cars.

Reply to
mj

Is there any sort of equivalent in Oz for the Kelly Blue Book?

If not, the KBB

will give you an estimated value for a used car -- but it only works for the US. You have to specify a location because the algorithm takes geo-climatic factors into account. However, there's no reason why you couldn't find a place in America that approximately matches the conditions of your locale -- wet / dry, flat / mountainous, heavy traffic city / empty road countryside, etc. -- and put that into the on-line form. The rest is quite general: how many miles / kilometres on the odometre; overall condition; even the colour [ ! ! ! ].

With a little more research, you could then compare the estimated used value with the price of the car when it was new and apply that same percentage to what the new price was in Oz back in '93. Et voila...

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Post an ad with photos on craigslist.com for maximum, free exposure.

It's phenomenal.

Reply to
zencraps

which gives AUD 4,100 - AUD 6,300

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

Personally I like cars.com or eBay Motors.

I've sold four cars through them and gotten equal to or more than what I wanted for them...while was above Kelley Blue Book on all.

Reply to
Robert

I have always done my buying research on edmunds.com - go the true market value section to get an idea of the range for your car would be in the US. Looks like best case would be around $3000 USD. I bought my daughter a 1995 850 last year with 43k miles in nearly perfect condition for $4700 USD.

Reply to
Dano

I have always done my buying research on edmunds.com - go the true market value section to get an idea of the range for your car would be in the US. Looks like best case would be around $3000 USD. I bought my daughter a 1995 850 last year with 43k miles in nearly perfect condition for $4700 USD.

Reply to
Dano

You are seriously delusional about your asking price.

I recently did the research and sold our '96 850 in excellent condition for $3750 to a friend. I would be surprised if any '93 850 had a value over $2500.

You can check edmunds.com or kbb.com to get some numbers.

Also look at ebaymotors.com completed auctions.

John

Reply to
John Horner

You are seriously oblivious for not noticing that the OP is in Australia. His $4,990 is about ¤3000, which is _far_ from 'delusional'.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Mr Horner's USD 2,500 is AUD 3,300 (roughly), which reflects the usually cheaper US market. What a used Volvo might attract in Europe or the USA is no indicator of its value in Australia.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

Thanks for all the input. I will try a few of the recommendations including (yet another) price reduction.

Reply to
JohnM