Volvo 940 2.o Turbo Coolant water

Hi

My VOlvo 940 has a misterious problem. It loses coolant water (at the rate of about 1l per week) yet there is not sign of a hose leaking or a radiator leak. Also the engine is running very smoothly and the oil looks "clean" so i don't think its a gasket gone. The engine is using much more fuel than it should so there is something wrong but I don't know what.

Also, although probably completely irrelavant, there is a fluid of some discription leaking from the air inlet of the carbon cannistor. I cannot see that this is connected to the water problem but thought it worth mentioning.

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Reply to
TrevorL

My guess is the water pump. Leakage from that can be devilishly hard to see. Look for a white deposit on the lower side of the weep hole in the water pump - I have a hard time reminding myself coolant residue is white, not green or whatever. Most varieties are fluorescent, so a black light is useful for looking for leaks.

You need to identify the fluid coming from the charcoal canister. Smelling a sample is a good start. If it is gasoline, you have a clue why the fuel consumption is high.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I had a hairline crack in the water jacket of my turbo. This was discovered only after my engine blew during a long road trip. There was no sign of this coming, the coolant just sprayed out onto the turbo and cooked away.

The crack was discovered when the turbo was removed during install of a new (to me) engine. The coolant leaked out under pressure only after the engine was fully hot, and the coolant would instantly vaporise on the hot exterior surface of the turbo, leaving no smell or sign of fluid loss. It's a very rare occurrence, but don't rule it out. Obviously, the turbo had to be replaced, and Herman at Cherry Turbos did a stellar job.

Get a mirror, a flashlight, and have a good look all around the turbo area for any white residue at all. If you find any, there's trouble.

Good luck.

RS

Reply to
Rusty

I also had turbo problems recently, see post '940 leaking turbo'.

The turbo only has a small waterway in the middle to cool the bearing, so leaks are usually slight. Mine also leaked slowly but intermittently. After putting up with this for a year or so the head gasket started leaking intermittently due to the lack of coolant additive caused corrosion to breakout a small gap between a water way and cylinder. Intermittent head gasket leaks are very bad as the whole lot goes out the exhaust pipe very quickly leading to complete overheat, warped head, cracked manifold, cracked down pipe etc.

The leaking turbo was evident from residue and water lying on the turbo when cold as the leak was on top. Get the turbo fixed/replaced before you get cascade failure.

-- Tony Stanley ++Always Learning++

Reply to
Tony Stanley