Volvo 940 vs Renault Crash test (2023 Update)

Hey All

I just came across this video on You Tube. They crash a 15 year old Volvo 940 estate, for many people the epitome of a solid and safe family car, into a 3 year old Renault Modus, notable as the first small car to earn a maximum 5 Star safety rating from the European New Car Assessment Program (Euro NCAP).

You wont believe what happens...

Regards Russ

Reply to
Russ

It's not loading on my computer. Are the cars both rolling at the same speed and crashed head-on?

Reply to
Roadie

It's a head-on offset driver-on-driver crash at 40mph/car. What it really illustrates is not so much that a Volvo is less safe but that crash safety standards have risen significantly. No doubt if the Volvo was put into that crash situation with one of its contemporaries (like a 15-year-old Renault) the result would be different as I expect it would be with a 3-year-old Volvo vs. the Modus.

blurp

Reply to
blurp

Exactly. I think whoever the testing organization was should have used comparable vehicles if the idea was to draw a conclusion about each vehicle.

Reply to
Roadie

"Roadie" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com...

KLIP

Look, the Ranault can not cope with this in spite of its five star EuroNCAP...;o)))))

Bjørn J.

Reply to
BJ

Think about this. Renault here is a mini-MPV which is a crossover suv. this means it sits higher. Which means its bumper was goint probably above volvo's bumper and was basically going through fender and such. Not much resistance in that area and not much energy could be dissipated so to speak. It's about the same as comparing volvo vs a bigger and taller SUV. Would not want to be in the frontal with it, no matter what volvo you are in (sans XC90 probably)

Also being 15 years apart also makes a big difference. I've read somewhere about volvo crash with a big ol' american car from 60s or

  1. You know a lot of steel, chrome all over, one that looks like a ship. The volvo was smashed but the guy from volvo was able to walk off while the guy in ol' car was dead.
Reply to
Tolian

"Tolian" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...

KLIP

This you will see in a lot of accidents, where a Volvo or a Saab is in.

This test is also a bit interesting:

Regards Bjørn J. Volvo S80 T6 in BSR stage 3 trim (app 330 Hk) Volvo S40 2.4i in Göteborg trim for the wife (app 182 Hk)

Reply to
BJ
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

"Roadie" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com...

KLIP

I wonder what the horse power may be..;o)

Just to put the construction basics in perspective versus the new Renault.

To something like a comparison, you should take this pile of junk and ram togehter with a 850/V70:

Regards Bjørn J.

Reply to
BJ

"~^ beancounter ~^" escreveu na mensagem news: snipped-for-privacy@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

1992 technology vs. 2006 techno;ogy...interesting...how about crashing a 1992 renuault into a 1002 volvo...where is that video?

See at 2:28 min. - 2:38 min what a Volvo does to a car same age (Renault ?)

JM Albuquerque

"JM Albuquerque" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

KLIP

It is an Opel Vectra or in UK a Vauxhall Vectra.

Regards Bjørn J.

Reply to
BJ

There is one lesson we can take from the video, though. Volvo, although a pioneer in auto safety, has lost most of its lead in vehicle safety -- not because Volvos aren't safe anymore, but because now MANY vehicles are much, much safer than in the past.

Java

Reply to
Espressopithecus (Java Man)
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

"Espressopithecus (Java Man) >" > 1992 technology vs. 2006 techno;ogy...interesting...how about crashing

It would also be a tradigy if it not were so.

Still I belive, Volvo and Saab will be some of the pioneers in auto safety and a lot others just very late copy cats.

Regards Bjørn J.

Reply to
BJ

I agree -- they should be known as important pioneers. But unfortunately for Volvo and Saab, the others are now very good copy cats.

Check out the crash test results for Audi, Honda and Subaru vehicles. They're not perfect yet, but they're very good.

I remember when Audis were DANGEROUS in a frontal crash because the steering column was likely to cause fatal head injury to the driver. Not any more!

Volvo and Saab can't differentiate themselves with safety any more. They have to be safe AND something else.

Java

Reply to
Espressopithecus (Java Man)

"Espressopithecus (Java Man) >" > >> 1992 technology vs. 2006 techno;ogy...interesting...how about crashing

I am glad for these potential owners, they able now to drive in yet not perfect but very good cars regarding safety.

Great, now it has become more safe to buy an Audi.

And this they will continue to do.

Regards Bjørn J.

Reply to
BJ

I think that is the result of progress, the Volvo was good in its day, however I think the point made was a little messed up, and perhaps a little disrespective of Volvo. They seemed to be saying that its a big heavy strong old car against a light modern car. This is not the case, Volvo 900 series are well know for being very soft at the front, and that can protect the occupants very well upto a certain speed. Almost no Volvo will 'plough through another car', even hitting a Mini Metro will result in a Volvo being written off as the front crumples. Its certainly unfair to say its made from girders as if its rigid. The whole reason it failed was because its soft, a rigid car would survive more but also cause fatal injuries due to the severe deceleration (at lower speeds).

In those days the alternative was a heavy ridig car (like a big Jag) or a really soft light one (like a Mini Metro). Volvo made the first steps into Engineering the crumple zone. Nowadays every mfr on has to do it by law, many more cars have been tested and the engineering is much better understood, so you can control the speed/ crumpleness / energy dissappation spread etc, leading to a lower overall deceleration of the occupant at higher speeds of impact. As well as understanding more what the human body can take.

I also thought it was unfair they mentioned air bags and seatbelt pretensions that the volvo didn't have. My 1995 940 has SIPS, seatbelt pretensioners and front air bags. The ABS has helped save at least one kid (also reliable,.. the ABS in my partners younger BMW died recently due to a failed sensor).

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

No, there are still people who believe an old Volvo's still a safe car, many actually think they offer more protection than a modern design. Notice the silly FanBoy comments on YouTube.

Reply to
Mark Drayford

You're so wrong, there's no crash in which you'd be better off in this old car, stop writing nonsense.

Reply to
Mark Drayford