Volvo 940DL Station Wagon (1994)

My Volvo has been giving me trouble when starting up after short periods of standing time. I don't have problems after the car has been sitting for quite a while (usually at least 1 hour): It starts up just fine, and I have no trouble shifting into gear. Everything's fine in the morning on my way to work; at lunch, if I go out; and at the end of the day on my way home.

When I do have problems, the car will start up, but the revolutions are at approximately 450-500, and the engine dies unless I pump the gas. When I take my foot off the gas to go to the brake and put the car in gear, it also dies. As long as I keep the gas going, everything's okay. I can usually "nudge" it into gear by keeping my left foot on the brake and giving it a little gas with my right. Once I get it into gear, no problem at all: It runs fine, and there are no other symptoms.

Anyone out there who can give us a clue as to what might be wrong? Sure would appreciate your help! Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Susi

My 940 does this every time the engine has anything done to it. I have to remove fuse No.1 from its socket (behind the dashboard ashtray), wait a few minutes and replace it... That will reset the engine management and probably set the idle correctly.

Reply to
bigjon