Volvo automatic transmission

A short time ago I bought this Volvo 960 3.0 from 1991. It is a very beautiful car with a 6 cylinder, airco and everything.

During the test drive everything seemed OK. One time when I started the car the 3 lights left to the gear were blinking. The 3 buttons are W(inter), S(port) and E(conomic). On the dash board there is also a arrow blinking all the time. In the manual I can read that there is something wrong with the automatic transmission. I still can drive the car, in Winter program only. Probably out of safty. It dissapeared one time but soon came back and it is still there.

My question. Does anybody know what could be wrong?

Bye, Steven

Reply to
Steven

Had just that same problem back in July with a '92 960. The thread's probably long gone from your news server, but you can find it through

by using keywords WSE Christmas Tree Volvo. In short, it's most likely the gear selector switch (aka PNP switch?). With ours, it went from no problem to intermittent to definitely dead in around a week. Mike F. suggested just running the gear selector through the full range 15 or 20 times rapidly; may have helped for a while, but I suspect it was a goner anyway.

Cost to verify diagnosis and replace at local Volvo dealer: $140 CDN labour, $200 CDN parts.

If you want more detail, check out

Enter960 PNP into the search box and you'll find all the details that youcould ever need.

Robert Smith

Reply to
Spiggy Topes

a slight oil pan seal leake is no big deal...buy the car and change the seal...5 min job w/the car on a lift...(imho)....tranny fluid good good, right? it drives ok?..reverse smooth...etc?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Steven declared:

My 940 Auto has a button on the side of the gear selector for overdrive - this lights up an arrow on the dash when dis-engaged.... It often comes on without help from me, then it's difficult to switch off, must be a relay sticking somewhere I think in my case...

Reply to
Bigjon

No idea.

Go to the brickboard, read the 960 FAQ, pull the transmission codes, and get back to us.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

My Dad's Volvo had this happen (same model, same year). If there's a fault in the _switches_ (bit of moisture, bad connection, anything really) it gives the 'gearbox fault' flashing light. His mechanic took the switches off, put them back in again, and no more problems. Good luck Olly

Reply to
Olly R