Volvo CD changer wiring circa 1993

Hi.

My 1993 Volvo 960 is wired up for a CD Changer in the trunk - but none is there, as we didn't option it out when we bought the car. I have to drive this car 1000kms on the weekend, and would love to have some CD sound, I have a changer in my VW (a 1999.5 Golf) and was thinking I could make an adaptor. If anyone knows what each of the wires do, that would be great. I have already posted a similar question to the VW group to see if they know the pin-outs for the changer itself... I intend to buy a generic wiring harness, and splice it in parallel with the existing setup. I have quite a solid background in electronics and electrical circuits, so I am not worried about the job, and I am confident an adaptor is probably possible, but I am stuck needing to know the pin-outs.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

rob...when i purchased a cd (volvo factory) changer for thje 1993

940t...i needed a special volvo cd cable, that ran from the back of the factory radio head unit...to the changer (in the trunk)...then it is just "plug and play".. are you making your own cable?...if you need it...i may still have an e mail address for a guy in san diego that was a "mr. know it all" for the mid 90's stereo and wiring questions...he helped me out when re doing my whole system.(let me know if you want me to search for him)....(speakers, amps, bass tube, cabling)...

regards...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to
Wentworth Man

After having my factory cd changer in the trunk break 3 times, I put a standard Alpine in my glove. No problems after 5 years. Left the factory cd in the trunk unplugged.

Reply to
dan federic

There's a cable pre-installed in our 960. I'm creating a home-made adaptor if I can.... I am not going to spend money (not more then a couple bucks) on this project, and don't even care if I get it working (would be nice tho, of course).... more of a pet-project to see if I can do it - because the results would be good. The car isn't my daily driver (my daily driver would be donating it's CD changer to the cause for temporary use) if it was my DD it would have a changer, new speakers on proper amplifiers, and probably some other upgrades by now (E-code headlights, turn signal repeaters, V90 tail lamps...).

Thanks to all who have responded... If anyone's got a wiring diagram that would be awesome.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have a 94 850, and a bit of a tin ear, ie, I am NOT an audiophile.

Still, I'd like to play a CD, and hate a changer where you have the wife's CDs in there, and you have to stop, open the trunk, and change CD cassettes.

Compounding this, is that I am a bit on the frugal side ( can you say CHEAP?)

So with my situation, what is an easy, inexpensive way to play a CD? ( I've tried the Walkman type with a car kit, but too many wires and shi....junk getting in the way..

Any ideas of a relatively simple and inexpensive way to get some CD tunes in my 850?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)
Reply to
Ron

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The correct place in a Volvo sedan is in the trunk and for an estate it is under the left hand floor lift-off panel in the rear.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Wentworth Man

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It's pretty easy to get a credit card, almost too easy...

Perhaps you could have a friend bid on something for you, or a relative.

Reply to
James Sweet

if no credit card...just set up a pay pal account (and get $5) with any active checking and/or savings account...i don't think you need a credit card account to do a pay pal acct.....

Reply to
richbonilla