Volvo coolant Type C

Hi all,

Here's a quick one: my coolant is low but the stuff already in there is yellow-brown Type C coolant. Does it really matter? I was told that most manufacturers try to do this sort of thing eventually to gain a "fluids market" but is there really any difference? My dad's Mercedes also uses this brown coolant but it comes from the Mercedes dealership.

I came across this post and reply on

B23F coolant flush & fill & thermostat[ALL/1998] posted by Tom Graham on Monday, 17 November 1997, at 11:25 p.m.

I plan to install a new thermostat, and replace the coolant in my '84

245DL this weekend. Do I really need to use Volvo type C coolant or is the regular stuff just as good? Are any of the flushing products worth using or is it just as good to run a bunch water through the passages? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tom

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Re: B23F coolant flush & fill & thermostat[ALL/1998] posted by Norm Lizotte on Wednesday, 19 November 1997, at 10:00 p.m.

I've used Prestone to replace the Volvo coolant since my first Volvo, a 1971 142S. Use Prestone in each of my three present Volvo sedans,

87' & '93 240DL's, and a '92 940GL, without any problems whatsoever.

So what do you think? Ignore the Type C requirement? If so, can I just add green coolant to what's already there or do I need to do a flush'n'fill?

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp

In olden days there was only one type of coolant, and it was green, and it was good. (Sorry - I got carried away.) Now there is a bewildering variety of coolants, some incompatible with others, for a variety of uses.

I recommend going with the real stuff. Some engines require low silicate to prevent pitting (of what I don't know), and many require all-metal compatibility. There may also be additives for the water pump seals and probably some that are just to see what we are gullible enough to pay for. For the low price differential and the hassle of getting the specified coolant, at least you will have this small piece of mind.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've always used normal green coolant available at any autoparts store, never had a problem with it. I can't speak for the newer (post-1992) cars but the older ones aren't picky.

Reply to
James Sweet

I don't really know what's best but my mechanic is rabid about not mixing different types, even different brands. Can anyone advise me if it's normal for some coolants to smell like 4 day old fish heads? I think it's castrol (1980 265GLE).

Reply to
jg

Well I was at the local CanTire and they were selling pretty much only one brand of coolant (besides the house brand) and that was Prestone.

On the jug it said in bold letters: "Good for ALL cars and light trucks, replaces ALL manufacturers' Anti-Freeze regardless of colour".

So based on this and posts here and on the brickboard saying they've been using green coolant with no ill effects, I'm going to use the balance of the brown Mercedes coolant and then switch to regular green Prestone.

If my rad turns into a pumpkin I'll let you know.

Thanks, blurp

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:24:34 GMT, the illustrious "jg" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Draining the old stuff first should give it the best chance. The ill-effects only come at the end...

Reply to
jg

Reply to
John Robertson