Volvo Dash Switches...what the heck are they?

Pulling parts off a '92 (I think) 940 in the junk yard today, I pulled the head light switch control unit off the dash which came with four other switches. Actually one is a delete cover. The other ones I can't figure out. The one most puzzling is a switch which appears to dim the dash lights, but right next to it on the same switch is an icon that i think looks like a clock which if that is what is is, would read about 10:10. Below that icon are two little square buttons one on top of the other. The top little button has an arrow pointing to the right, and the lower one to the left...do these advance a clock of some kind, and if so...will it work on the analog clock in the instrument cluster? Finally, the last rocker switch looks like a human figure hold his/her arms up and out....what the heck is that? The switch goes either up or down and stays in whatever direction you push it in. I also took out the A/C control unit with three rotary dials. Any ideas as to what that thing costs at the dealer? I paid about 3 bucks for it here. Thanks for all the help and I want to wish everyone a wonderful New Year!

Sincerely,

JBeechcraft

Reply to
JBeechcraft

From your description, the one that dim the dash lights does exactly just that. The one that has a click icon chance the time of the clock, some (but not all) 940 has this feature which the analogue clock on the dash has a motor built in and you use this switch to change the time. Others had clocks which you manually adjust just like the 740's. Some 940's has the instrument dim adjustment switch and clock adjustment switch combined into one switch. The last one with the human figure holding the arms up is the aerial switch, it connects to the radio and allows you to lower the radio when listening to tape / CD, this is particularly useful if your garage has a low roofline or when entering auto car wash. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

My human holding his hands out and up have another function, it opens the roof and ejects the passenger. I think this was an option on some 700 cars.

I couldn't resist.

Yeah, for real, how does an antenna end up looking like a trident shaped image?!??!

Reply to
Myron Samila

roof and ejects

That will be the 007 700 then? : )

The trident shape is the international icon for antenna- probably somes from the old ham radio days.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

On some models this connects the radio to Notre Dame football. The figure on the switch is a replica of a statue on campus known affectionately as "Touch Down Jesus" ;>

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning