Volvo for sale--no, the _company_.

Typical Ford; buy, screw up, layoff people, close plants, tben dump because it doesn't fit their strategy of the month:

Wonder who the buyer will be...

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Go to

and go down to thread "New rumors- Volvo to be sold".

Reply to
NoOne

First off the article doesn't say Volvo is for sale - it says Ford is denying yet-again that the unit is up for sale.

Additionally your comments are flat wrong. Ford bought Volvo and during their ownership vastly improved the Volvo lineup of cars. They also cross-used features to improve both Ford and Volvo. Where did they screwup the Volvo line. When did they layoff people at Volvo plants and which Volvo plants did they close.

And since Ford has owned Volvo since 1999, specifically which monthly strategy was the ownership of Volvo not in conformance with?

Reply to
Roadie

I believe the production of a Volvo SUV is a glaring error and likely one precipitated, if not instigated, by Ford's acquisition.

It's an unnecessary wasteful vehicle which adds nothing to Volvo's offering except the ability to chin up with all the other "also-rans" as proud believers in the wasteful dream.

On the plus side I think the shared competencies that came over from the Ford Focus have resulted in the seemingly clever C30. Whether the C30 turns out to be more like a Ford than a Volvo has yet to be seen.

my $0.02 (I really hate SUVs) blurp

Reply to
blurp

Selling cars that are designed to sell well is what car manufacturers have to be good at if they are going to survive. The Volvo unit at Ford might not be as profitable had it not been for that "glaring error".

Uuuuhhh...ok....I'll play. Which wasteful dream. And which sellers of SUV's are also rans - Mercedes, Porsche, Toyota, Honda possibly??

Which car maker doesn't play the lemming game? Look at Volvo's styling over the past decades - they copied designs that were either way out of style like the PV544 or headed out the door like the 740. The 740 series body was the delta style that Detroit was so pleased with in the early 1980's.

Reply to
Roadie

Never had or driven a Volvo till now.

Test drove both Focus and C30 (and others), bought the C30. Focus XR5 was (much) cheaper, just as quick and nimble footed - even though it is rated at

4kW higher than the C30 with the same engine. Bought the C30 due to style (particularly the simplicity of the interior albeit this is taken from the S40), drive and build quality (paintwork, trim, interior comfort). Whilst it may share some bits from Ford it didn't 'feel' like the Ford. The C30 'felt' to me a better built car. Could have had the XR5 for $7000 less and wouldn't have had to wait 3 months for it. Preferred to wait for the C30. Subjective I know, but that's the way it was.

BTW..the C30 has converted me to a 'lifer'.

Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Mal from Oz

I'm assuming that's a hybrid. I've been eyeballing hybrids for a while. Now that Volvo has one I may take the plunge. btw... went to the Volvocars website to check it out. I couldn't tolerate that hideous flash animation long enough to actually see anything about the car. That alone may keep me from buying it. What are these dimwit web designers thinking? (forwarded to snipped-for-privacy@volvocars.com. Hopefully a valid address as it's not listed on the site.) Crap websites like that really put me off the internet...

Reply to
clay

Clay,

No, this one isn't a hybrid, but I believe a model that runs on bio-fuel might be available in europe. Certainly not down here. Mine is the stock standard 2.5 T5 ..I fill 'er up with 98RON. Goes like stink if you give it a kick !

yeah the website is not good if you are in a hurry - I had a few months to kill before I took delivery so I had some time to work my way round it ;-)) If you want to have a quick look the Aussie website is a bit more friendly

Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Mal from Oz

Thanks for the link! That's much better. U.S webadmins could take a lesson from the Aussies!

Reply to
clay