Volvo-Ford Question

I've been looking for the past 6 mos for a somewhat larger vehicle to replace my 2000 S70T5, which is at 100K and which we use for extended road trips. I'm looking for something with the same power but a bit larger as a "road car". After looking all over, and not wanting to buy an American car (altho the Dodge Magnum hemi is very tempting), I keep coming back to Volvo, either the XC90 or S80.

I've resisted looking seriously at Volvo bexcause of the Ford connection --- I really don't want a Swedish Ford....

Does anyone have any info on just how much Ford has tinkered with the S80 or the XC90? Or have they, hopefully, left these cars to the Volvo engineers? What about electrics? Has Ford put their own electrical systems into these cars, or have they left that alone? Do these cars still have the traditional Volvo reliability?

Any input very much appreciated. Thanx.

Reply to
mdrawson

"...traditional Volvo reliability..."

he he he

-----

-RL

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

connection ---

So far they don't seem to have a whole lot of Ford influence, let's hope it stays that way.

Reply to
James Sweet

Mostly the flow seems to be going the other way, with the S80 heavily donating to the new Ford Five Hundred.

Generally the S80 has not turned in top-of-the-class reliability results, but very few modern Euro vehicles have done so!

John

Reply to
John Horner

Indeed, it looks like Ford has been counting on Volvo to save their bacon! After concentrating on buying European marquees and building huge SUV's the Taurus and the entire US car line was a shambles, so Volvo and Mazda in the small cars have been having an influence upon Ford.

There seems to be some of the same look in recent fords and Volvos in instruments and other inside pieces but not too bad...yet...

Reply to
Steve

How much of that poor return on the S80 do you suppose is due to the

6-cylinder T6? I notice that they've discontinued that engine as of '06 models.

Reply to
mdrawson

Just so we can stay away from Ford electrics, which historically have been disastrous.

Reply to
mdrawson

As opposed to the fusebox in the 140/240, the mid 1980s 240 wiring harnesses, the entire electrical system in the '98 S/V70s, the electronic throttle in the '99 and newer 5 cylinder engines...

:)

Reply to
Jim Carriere