Volvo Jack Recall (1995)

I found this while searching through the Vadis files I have... does anyone know if there is a time limit for these things? If I have to put snows on (or change a flat) I'd prefer not to get crushed. Also I am located in Canada, anyone know if the recall applies here too?

A word to the wise as well, I suppose:

TIRE JACKS MAY NOT HAVE THE NECESSARY LOAD CAPACITY

1995 Volvo 850 NHTSA RECALL BULLETIN

Models: 1995 Volvo 850 Number of Affected Vehicles: 31315 Beginning Date of Manufacture: 1994 JUN Ending Date of Manufacture: 1995 JAN

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: Passenger vehicles. SYSTEM: Equipment; jacks. FAULT: Does not meet specs, Material, Heat treatment.

DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT: Some of the jacks supplied with the vehicles do not have the necessary load capacity.

CONSEQUENCE OF DEFECT: A raised vehicle can fall off the jack increasing the likelihood for personal injury or property damage.

CORRECTIVE ACTION: Dealers will inspect and replace suspect jacks with a jack meeting the load requirements for these cars.

NOTE: If a new jack is not supplied to the vehicle owner free of charge within a reasonable time, please contact Volvo at 1-800-458-1552. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration?s Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration operates Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Eastern Time. For more information call (800) 424-9393 or (202) 366-0123. For the hearing impaired, call (800) 424-9153.

Reply to
blurp

Call your nearest Volvo dealer and ask?

Reply to
Wooly

That's what I'll do but it was my last resort. My experience has been that the people in this newsgroup know more than any dealer-employed trained monkey might.

If they say no it may well mean that they would prefer not to expend the effort to find out. If I know otherwise from the people in the group then I will argue with the dealer and push for what's fair.

blurp

Reply to
blurp

Try also

Wooly

Why is asking the dealer your last resort? The dealer has all the recall bulletins going back to the beginning of time. If you leave the confrontational attitude at the door (so to speak) you ought to be on the phone for 3 minutes and have your replacement jack in less than 10 once you hit the lot.

Reply to
Wooly

The recall you cite is an NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) recall, and as such, would not be applicable to cars sold in Canada.

That does not mean that Canadian vehicles do not suffer from the same problem, it just means that your government has failed to force the manufacturer to correct the problem.

+++++ Posted via Debian GNU/Linux
+++++
Reply to
Rob Smith

I'm trying hard to understand how the members of this news group would know whether a safety recall for 1995 Volvo 850 cars produced for six months in 1994 would apply to your car. A Volvo car dealer or the Volvo importer would have a complete record of the vehicles that recall impacted. And the service records for your car should indicate whether it was changed - just look through them.

And I'm really puzzled about this statement: "My experience has been that the people in this newsgroup know more than any dealer-employed trained monkey might." If Volvo dealers are so thoroughly bad then why in the world are you buying cars made by Volvo?????????? Buy cars from dealers with a reputation that meets your standard next time....

Have you looked at

Reply to
Roadie

All Volvo dealers are not created equal; in my short 5 year Volvo ownership I have met with more poor dealers than good. In this case there may be no alternative to go to the dealer for the information. Even doing that may be no good; even though the records may show the jack was replaced it could have been lost and replaced with a recalled one from a wrecking yard. I don't think it was wrong to ask here, for the most part everyone is very helpful!

Reply to
Allen

The jack recall listed was for vehicles sold in the United States as for Canada you have to have the Volvo dealer check your car for any open recalls this will show if the car has any open recalls & what has been done if you want post your Vin # here & I will run through myself & post back the information Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician ASE Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein

DUH! and we are supposed to know if your jack was replaced with one from a junk yard. I think a dealer would know that much better than we would since you can show him the jack. The jacks looked the same, one was made better than the other.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

DUH!! Do they not have different part numbers?? Seems like if someone here had that particular jack and knew it was the "better" one they could post the part number.

Reply to
Allen

And that person would be the parts man at your Volvo dealership. When I got my new jack, I lost interest in any details. Try helping yourself before you expect others to help you.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I've owned Volvo cars since 1984 and have had working relationships with dealers in 4 states. For a given car I use the same dealer for purchase and service. Consequently I receive what I would call very good treatment. Consistently. Regularly changing dealers for service will usually get you to the bottom of the service hierarchy in my experience.

Volvo dealers are plentiful, and all it really takes is a phone call. They are the ones with the records of the cars they sold.

The question of which jack is in the car is one that nobody on this forum could possibly answer. One would hope that the original poster had kept records of repairs and warranty work, but that is apparently not the case. At any rate the only way to resolve the question is to drive the car to a Volvo dealer and verify whether the correct jack is in the trunk. No amount of guessing on this news group will get the original poster any more information.

It usually saves time if car owners try the obvious and simple solutions first.

Reply to
Roadie