volvo newbie...interested in a wagon

So the time has come for me to get rid of my gas guzzling 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I've heard great things about volvo's and their reliability. My question is kind of broad, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of purchasing a 90's wagon, but don't know which models are the most reliable. I am not really a fan of the 240 in terms of looks, so that is out of the question.

What are some recommendations and prices I should expect to pay? Are there specific year + models I should avoid? I'd like to have some of the modern car features, descent stereo, A/C, etc.

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

Reply to
dhoch14

You've heard of legendary Volvo reliability. They earned that reputation with the 260 and 240 series and cashed out on it with the 850's.

If you want a fancy stereo and power windows, look at the 740 or 940, which were just fancy 240's. The 850's and everything that came after (V70, XC70, etc.) are about as reliable as Fords. If you want something newer than the

940 with legendary Volvo reliability, find yourself a Camry wagon.

-----

-RL

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

I have a 1993 Volvo 940 sedan (basically same as wagon) that has been running great for the last thirteen years...no major service issues, never had to take it back to the dealer. However, I also have a 1998 Volvo XC70 that would have been better off staying at the dealer forever...its been back so many times I've lost count. Seems like something major goes wrong about every two months...

If you want any Volvo, buy one before the Ford takeover in 1995: that was their golden years.

Reply to
kraft.fhs

i *totally* agree! i drive nothing but volvos since the 544, and have found that iff you can find a lo-mile 245 '90-'93 ( the modern car features, descent stereo, A/C, etc. :>

:> Thanks in advance! :>

:> -Dave :>

Reply to
AND Books

If gas mileage is a main concern, look for a wagon with a manual transmission, and be warned that they are rare after the mid '80's. If you want reliabilty, safety, *and* good fuel economy with an automatic, consider the relatively rare Camry wagon instead. It will likely get 3-6 mpg more than a similar Volvo wagon.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

You might look at the 850 series, they've been out for a while now and seem to be holding up pretty well. If you can find one with a manual gearbox the fuel economy is pretty decent.

Reply to
James Sweet

Consider a Honda Fit.

Coming soon to America, but already established elsewhere around the world.

A very small wagon-like car, great mileage, good fit and finish, and best of all it handles damned near like a sports car.

Mid teens on price, and best of all, it's a Honda.

Reply to
zencraps

Consider a Honda Fit.

Coming soon to America, but already established elsewhere around the world.

A very small wagon-like car, great mileage, good fit and finish, and the car magazines say that it handles damned near like a sports car.

Mid teens on price, and best of all, it's a Honda.

The problem with your choice to look at an older Volvo wagon is that none of them are fuel efficient.

My wife drives a '91 740 which is a good car, leather, nice ride, and great build quality and reliability but mpg around 20-24: that's pretty good, but not good enough to get excited about.

I drive an '82 244 Turbo that averages 18-22 mpg.

Reply to
zencraps

I agree with everything you say save the fuel factoid. The fit/jazz is 38 epg MPG...same as oh...a corolla a civic gets 40 with the auto box...

why? Civics got in the mid 40's 15 years ago...

Reply to
Steve

Personally, I'm considering a Fit as a future replacement for my 1993 Volvo 940 sedan, when it dies (I think it still has 3-4 more years in it); I want to wait and find out if the Fit is as reliable as the Honda name suggests. But if you're looking for more room and still a bargain-basement price, the Camry wagon is a good alternative to a Volvo. 1996 was an especially good year, in my opinion, and stay with a four-cylinder, it has adequate power especially for the wagon. The V6 is largely unecessary unless you plan on towing.

One caution with the Camrys, though...they definitely don't have all the safety advantages of a Volvo, so if you have a family I'd sacrifice the gas and the price and get the Volvo, Camrys only had two airbags (front driver/front passenger) and definitely didn't get the ratings the same-generation Volvos did.

Reply to
Robert