Volvo: Profitable in US?

Good to hear about Saabs. My only experience was that in 1988 my highschool buddy's mother won a Saab 900 in one of those mall raffles. It was red with a black spoiler across the back - very sharp.

Well, my friend was on a date with another couple after about 8 weeks of owning the car. He made a curve too quickly one night, ditched the car and twisted the frame. Insurance claimed it a total loss.

Oh the joy he had waking up mom and dad and telling them about the new car.

Reply to
Jamie

I think the pre-GM reliability is a myth - if my old 99 and 900 were representative samples.

On the other hand, my wife's '99 9-3 and my '95 9000 have been trouble-free.

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

Can you tell us more? Did the occupant's heads hit the window in the computer simulated tests? That is what they failed on. Nothing else. That is why making side air curtains mandatory solves the problem.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

This is wishful thinking. Many cars do better than Volvo. They like testing because it is before the fact, but they are heavily swayed by claims history and Volvo is not the best. It is better than average, but not the best. The 850/V70 has the best claims history for Volvo.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Wrong, Audi just has average reliability, which is not bad with today's cars. Volvo is in the same boat.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

There was a rumor floating around a while back that Ford was going to divest themselves of Volvo. Ford Chairman denied it, just like the same rumor about Jaguar. Volvo profits are supposedly down for Ford since acquisition, but with creative accounting, who realy knows. I do know that the dealer is VERY hesitant to replace anything under warranty, even the completely dead front struts at 32K. I do know one thing and that is that Ford wants to extend the model life of all the 70 series because they are really still reaping the rewards of the last fully, in-house design of these cars...if they would just stop cutting costs on the components, like that for-shit Marelli throttle body.

Reply to
jbincyberia