Volvo S70 stuck ignition key

I'm having a problem with our 1999 Volvo S70. Every time we turn the car off, the key is not able to come out of the ignition. It seems as though the button on the gear shift knob is pushed in when it should be out. If you play with the button on the gear shift knob, it will eventually come out and we are then able to take the key from the ignition.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem and if so, what would be the repair?

TIA

Mark

Reply to
GOODS_DC

The linkage between the button and the cable needs to be lubricated at the base of the shifter, or the cable itself has slightly come out of place or needs lubrication. (The cable takes the button motion up to the ignition lock preventing the key from being removed in any shifter position except park, and with the button out.) I've had this problem with both of my '98s, one was the cable needing repositioning, the other was lubing of the linkage under the knob. In the meantime, I found that slapping the gearshift knob caused the button to pop out.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for the info Mike. I got the car back from the shop at the dealership and they lubricated the knob linkage. They didn't even charge me. Thanks once again.

Mark

Reply to
GOODS_DC

It is not uncommon to have to replace the gear shift knob assembly. The hinge part of the release button has broken and causes the button to bind and not release to the normal rest position. When this happens, the only fix is to replace the complete knob unit. BD

Reply to
Big Dick