Volvo S80 1999 - Why do they cool the computer with air from climate control system?

Upon finding the low side of my a/c system to test pressure, I noticed that the box next to the antifreeze and power-steering fill tanks (which contains two computers from the looks of it), is fed air from the climate control system to cool the computer modules.

I wonder why they didn't just put the computers inside the passenger compartment like MOST other cars? Seems like a lot of abuse under the hood and complexity of now blowing cool air over them? I wonder if it blows hot air in the winter?

I'm confused - has anybody ever thought about why they did it that way? Usually, they have their reasons?

Regards,

Deacon Eisenhart

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

Possibly because the passenger compartment can be hotter for when the car is left out in the sun?

Reply to
poopbunny

Maybe to keep the wire lengths short between the computer and the various sensors and controls it integrates with?

John

Reply to
John Horner

I thought that myself about passenger compart being hotter at times... Well, I guess I shouldn't lose sleep over it.

I can't imagine wiring would be the issue, but that is a thought too.

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

On the 850 the ECU box was cooled via forward motion of the car, or when the cooling fan was running through some pipes before and behind the radiator.

On the 70 series Classic the arrangement is as the 80 series, the interior fan pulls air through the ECU box instead.

I'm not sure why either!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..