Volvo SC-901 stereo won't play CD-R's

I've heard there is some sort of software update for the SC-901 (the CD/cs stereo with Dolby Surround and in-dash 3CD changer) that will let it play CD-R's. But when I went to the local dealer they hadn't heard of such a thing.

Does anyone know the TechNet or Bulletin Number for this update, or some other designation that I can tell the dealer so he can find it?

Reply to
OlBlueEyes

There is no Technet note or SB for what you want

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Glenn Klein wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.net:

OK, then what do I go back to the dealer and tell him?

Reply to
OlBlueEyes

Have you tried here?

"

Reply to
Perry Murlless

I don't think you are going to find anything. Many early CD players have problems with some or all CD-Rs. You might try burning a different brand of CD-R disk to see if that helps. Probably you are SOL.

John

Reply to
John Horner

John Horner wrote in news:U%M3f.22665$Tn5.19462@trnddc08:

"Early"? CDs debuted in 1983. This is a 1999 car!

Reply to
OlBlueEyes

Yes, but you're trying to mix different formats if you recorded the music files as a DATA (not the emphasis, not a shout!) cd-rom. The car's player is probably only wired/programmed for music cd's, which use a different format for storing the data.

Sort of like trying to put a MAC-formatted floppy into a PC and vice-versa -- if the unit can handle both, you're in joy-city; if not, SOL....

Try recording the files as a MUSIC cd if your writer program permits that.

My wife's previous car (non-Volvo) couldn't handle a cd-rom with music files. Her 2001 S40 plays them, but there is a definite quality difference due to the conversion between media and the sampling rates.

Reply to
byrocat

Are you simply trying to play standard cd audio discs you have burned OR mp3 files?

It should have no problem whatsoever with the former ..... no chance with the latter!

Reply to
Seany

"Seany" wrote in news:5xP3f.183$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

Well, it is. These are compilations from ripped wav's (off commercial discs) burned with Nero6 in audio mode.

Reply to
OlBlueEyes

Burning at the slowest speed helps, like x2.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Hey, no point being mad at me. I didn't make your car :).

You can try different write speeds, different computers and different brands of blank CDRs. The recordable CDs use an entirely different process than do factory manufactured CDs and there is absolutely no assurance that a given burned CD will work in a given player.

And I still say that you are not likely to find a software update for your car which will make any difference.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Try a different brand of CD-R blanks, and make sure you're not using a CD-RW disc. I've had some discs that won't work in some players.

Reply to
James Sweet

My SC-816 is pretty erratic about accepting CD-Rs - it'll play most of them, although it occasionally rejects even those burned on my component stand-alone Audio CD recorder - which no other deck has ever had a problem with.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)