Volvo turns over but won;t start

My 1991 240 DH turns over but will not start. We had a terrible rain storm the other day so I took off the distributor cap and made sure no moisture was present, even took fingernail file and made sure the contact points were fresh. Can you tell me how to check and see if I'm getting spark? Do I start at the solenoid and work my way down? Also as per the check engine codes from A2 to A6, is there a way I can find out what all of the codes mean? thanx for any help.

Coby from Brooklyn

Reply to
Coby Herd

Coby:

I learned this from my local Volvo shop a few months ago...

Check your fuses for the fuel injection/fuel pumps, both at the fuse panel in the driver's side footwell and also the 25A blade fuse located next to the high-beam relay behind the battery. Check wires leading from and to also and make sure they are not too corroded.

Checking for spark is kind of a pain and painful. Basically, you remove each spark plug one at a time, attach it to its wire, and observe the tip while someone cranks the engine. WEAR HEAVY GLOVES! If you have spark, then you are all set. If not, remove the plug and hold the end of the wire near a ground, like the top of the valve cover. Once again, check for spark and be prepared for a jolt. If you get spark, then you can rule out the wires. Check the high-tension lead between the coil and the distributor cap in the same way. Sounds like you've ruled out the cap and rotor. Cool.

It's usually not a spark issue but a fuse issue. I hate to have to see you checking for spark and getting zapped all the time. Good luck!

NickZ

Coby Herd wrote:

Reply to
Nick Zervas

the driver's side footwell and also the 25A blade fuse located next to the high-beam relay behind the

remove the

When checking spark on a car with electronic ignition, use either a spark tester or old spark plug with the plug body grounded to the engine. Pushing the ignition to produce a maximum spark can be fatal to the control unit. Absorbing a huge spark through your body can be fatal.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Dietz