Volvo v70 Cross Country Wagon

I just purchased a 2001 v70 XC Wagon and have a few questions for those of you more familiar with the car.

This is my third Volvo wagon, so I'm a fan. I bought a '87 240 Wagon while in college (in 1993) with 113,000 miles on it and totalled it in an accident in 1997. It had 70,000 of my miles on it at the time and I ended up getting MORE than I paid for it from insurance. Good enough reason to buy another. I bought a '91 740 Turbo wagon with 70,000 miles on it and totalled it in 2005 with 170,000 miles on it (neither accident was my fault I should note).

Anyhow... I live in Chicago and haven't needed a car for the last 2 years, but my wifes car was getting older and we have a second kid on the way, so we decided to get a safe care that will hopefully last.

Enter the 2001 v70 XC Wagon.

We bought it with 60,000 miles on it, and have had it less than a month. I'm a little concerned about some of the things I've noticed after the sale...

1) I was told all XC's are turbos, but I don't see a turbo gauge like the 740 had, and I don't see anything that looks like a turbo charger under the hood.

2) The sun roof has just started to rattle (the glass) when I hit bumps. Is there any kind of tightening screw to adjust that you know of?

3) The gas lid closes fine, but does not lock into anything. I didn't see a place to "pop" it inside so it didn't alarm me at first, but it looks like something is missing around the latch.

If you have any info, I'd greatly appreciate it. Until I've driven

20-30k on this one without problems, I'm going to worry I suppose.

Thanks, D.

Reply to
don.orban

The better reason is that you were still alive and could buy and drive another vehicle.

Yes, the USA-Spec '01 V70 XC has a 'low-pressure' turbo. It is just about impossible to tell it is there. There is no gauge or turbo lag.

I avoid sun roofs and leather seats since when you keep a Volvo as many miles as I do, these tend to be the items that have the most problems.

There is a pin that is supposed to slide sideways to lock the gas cap door from opening. When the car is locked the gas cap door should not open. If it does, the pin in the lock mechanism may need lubricating or the mechanism replacing. There is an emergency release inside the car. You remove the panel on the back lower right hand side and reach in and pull a wire loop that manually releases the lock if the automatic release doesn't work.

We bought our '01 V70 XC new and it has 95,000 miles and runs and looks just like new. The only problems we had were a loose wire on the starter and a broken hinge on the gas cap door. Both were very easy to fix. It is not the most reliable model that Volvo made, but it is very durable so that you should not expect any unusual wear issues. Any problems should have shown up early on. This is one model that is better used than new. One word of warning, the tail lights and head lights are not easy to replace. You need small hands and patience. I have on two occasions had the dealer do it. He never charged me. I had my own replacement bulbs.

I always use dealer service. It gets minor service every 7,500 miles and more complete service every 30,000 miles which includes air filter and spark plugs. The most critical items are oil and filter every 7,500 miles and timing belt every 105,000 miles. But they also do other things like replace the pollen filter in the climate control system, lub the PVC nipple, lub trunk and hood hinges and latches, and other subtle things.

If you didn't get all the books, they are available on line at:

2001 V70 XC Maintenance

2001 V70 XC Manual

2001 V70 XC Specs

2001 V70 XC VIC

2001 V70 XC VIN

2001 V70 XC Warranty

Volvo Owner Bookstore

If you need to reset the service light you can do it by:

  1. Press and hold trip odometer reset button.
  2. Turn ignition to run (II) position
  3. Wait about 10 seconds until Service light starts blinking.
  4. Turn ignition to off position
  5. Release trip odometer reset button.
Reply to
Stephen Henning

This site has been a wealth of knowledge for me, a fellow 01 V70XC owner. I use the forums any time I have any issues with mine.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Just wanted to say "thank you" to both of you for the info. I'm going to see if the dealer can do something about the gas lid next time I'm in for service.

Cheers, D.

Reply to
don.orban

The gas door doesn't have a latch, but an automatic feature that locks the door after about fifteen minutes of standing.

The XC's don't have a boost gauge.

Reply to
Administrator ,

My '01 V70 XC locks the gas door with a pin from the side when the car doors lock. There is an emergency cord in the rear to unlock the gas door if the pin sticks. Your manual describes its operation.

Reply to
Stephen Henning
1.Our 2002 V70 T5 has no turbo indicator either, although it is spec'd as a turbo. Our previous 940 did have both.
  1. Have no rattle so can't comment on any way to tighten the sunroof.
  2. After driving a short distance the gas lit locks using an automatically activated pin latch, as Steve Henning mentioned. The door is held flush with a spring latch, that can be easily broken by an aggressive gas attendant. Our vehicle has no emergency release, although I believe prior years did have a pull wire for that purpose. We found that out at a gas station some distance from home when the servo motor controlling the latch failed and the lid stayed locked. Luckily we had enough gas to get to a service facility, where they disabled the servo. After getting home, we had the motor replaced at our local dealer and they told me how to manually release the lock should the motor fail again. You have to remove the panel by the gas filler and reach up until you can feel and pull back the pin. I like most design aspects of the car, but in this case Volvo regressed when they eliminated the manual release.

Njord

Reply to
njord

In the FWD/AWD cars, the turbo is back behind the engine, there will be air intake plumbing going to it as well, it's pretty hard to miss.

Reply to
James Sweet