Volvo vs. Folvo (or is it Fordvo?)

So is it true, or just self-fulfilling expectations that Volvo quality and engineering have degraded since the Ford takeover? Some posts here claim they'd rather drive an old 850 than a new S60. Is this just stingy people (like myself) justifying their inability to buy new or is there such a substantive safety or reliability advantage to the pre-Ford Volvos?

One feature that has kept me in Volvos all these years is the super-redundant braking system (dual redundant cylinders at all four disks and separate drums for the handbrake). I always figured this would be first to go under Ford and replaced with the standard Amercian one-cylinder-per-wheel geometry. Has this happened?

How about the frame? Excluding the '40 series, have the high-end Volvos gone to unibody yet?

Personally, I think there are probably areas where Ford engineering could help the Volvos - alternator, wiring, air conditioning, perhaps even the auto tranny...

-----

-RL

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

The s60 is pure Volvo design, as is the current v70 and xc90 and s80. The only shared platform is the new s40. The old s40 was a shared platform. If people prefer an 850 maybe it is the feel of it they prefer. But Volvo designed both, the engineering and the styling.

No. Also Ford is using Volvos p2 frame in its mid sized car. There's shared technologies, and Ford wants to use a lot of Volvo technology. There's a lot in the s40 that isn't in the Mazda 3 or Ford Focus, including the 4 types of steel used.

So far, Volvo is fairly autonomous and have a lot of input into their own cars. Don't know how long it will stay this way.

Ben S.

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

Everything seems fine... We compared our 965 to a XC70... under really close scrutiny, as if we do get an XC70, it will have to last as long as our 960 has (10+ years)... We've probably going to get the next generation XC70, or the last year it's produced in current style.

Alternator?? Bosch alternator... we've never had a problem with one in our Volvo's, VW's, or the Audi (the only thing that apparantly wouldn't break on the damn thing)

Wiring - yah right, have you seen how many fire related recals there are on Fords, some are for wiring

Air-Con.... Umm yah, probably could help out here - tho I believe Denso is supplying Volvo now...

Auto Tranny - aren't these Fords big weakness?.... Volvo trannys are rock solid... Volvo doesn't even make them... Companies like ZF and Aisin Warner makes trannys for cars... Volvo just specs out how many gears, shift points etc...

Reply to
Rob Guenther