Volvo will not take on the Germans, says CEO

CEO Stefan Jacoby says Volvo needs to get back to its Swedish roots and stop copying the Germans. Jacoby also said the automaker will not be developing a flagship sedan rival to the BMW 7-Series until it more than doubles its sales volume. Read More:

----------------------------------- Volvo NewsHub: Latest auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs

sjmmail2000-247

Why copy the Germans when Volvo is easy to work on with out the issues of RUST that now plague Mercedes ? .Besides Mercedes have issues with their servicing departments here in Australia .

John Robertson

sedan rival to the

Would be nice if Volvo had got back to their roots of making vehicles that don't break at every corner. We've just replaced the automatic transmissions in our 2000 V70 cross country (190,000 km) AND the 2002 xc 70 with half the mileage. At no small cost. And I'm not going to list all the swaybars and radiators, AC compressor clutch, heating radiator and whatever other bits and pieces we've had to get replaced over the last 4 years or so. At prices nothing short of usury. We're getting close to the price of a brand new small Japanese car here with what we've had to blow on Volvo repairs and maintenance.

Considering that our Volvo franchise (been taken away from the previous franchise of 25 years standing and handed to the local Ford dealer - cough cough) charges like a wounded bull and doesn't always do a competent job AND that we may possibly get spare parts shipped from China in the future (mere speculation, but nontheless...)I expect these are the last two Volvos we'll own. Heck, I love driving them, but I don't like the bleeding wallet aspect of things.

I think we'll go German, or even Japanese. Toyotas don't seem to break down much, from what I hear. How are VW cros-overs these days? Mercs? Don't want a SUV but a leggy station wagon is nice on our gravel roads and easier on ageing knees than low-slung vehicles.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner