Volvos in snow

Should I become a Volvo owner? I've been driving AWD vehicles for more than ten years-- very handy here in Vermont. My current vehicle (Grand Voyager with AWD just got totaled when I got rear-ended and I'm considering either a Subaru wagon or a Volvo, used. Assuming I put snow tires on, how will I do in the snow in an 850 wagon or sedan?

The very weird thing I've noticed is that if you look in the range I've been looking at, about 85-100K, the Volvos and Subarus seem to be going for a similar price range (around $8000-10000). I'm assuming that you get a lot more car for the money if you get a Volvo than a Sube. Any thought on that question?

Thanks, guys.

Jack

Reply to
Jack McCullough

Old Volvo RWDs were pretty good in snow. Newer FWDs are dogs. The Xcountry AWD is good.

Reply to
Chicorita

I disagree. I've driven both over the last ten years in northern Wisconsin and Illinois. They're both excellent in snow. Off course with any car, you've got to know how to drive in heavy snow.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

I owned a Ford Bronco II 4WD for 13 years until it was really falling apart. I donated it, and bought a 1990 Volvo 240 in 2001. I miss 4WD in winter here in Minnesota, when it snows which is no longer all that often. I didn't need to switch to snow tires with the Bronco; with the Volvo, I have terrible winter traction by comparison. Snow tires would be a good idea (haven't bought 'em yet) or at least better tires for snow than Michelin Rain-X or whatever they are. They suck in the snow.

Clearance is also an issue. I could drive the Bronco II through a foot of snow, no problem. The Volvo wouldn't handle that as well, if at all.

The trade off is that the Volvo is a superb car to drive, unlike the Bronco II, and has cost me far, far less in maintenance and repair costs. The Volvo is a well0made machine, unlike the Ford POS it replaced. Ironically, Volvos are Fords now...

Volvo lifespans are typically 200,000+ miles. What's the average lifespan of a Suburu?

Reply to
Tim McNamara

A nice year for the 240 -- I think the best years were from '90 to '93. A fine RWD Volvo. I would strongly recommend you consider getting snow tyres. I used Dunlop Graspics when I lived in Wisconsin, and my

760 handled the snow really well.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

japaneese vs. sweedish engineering & parts...i sugguest owning each type of car for at least 50kmiles...150k is more revealing though...as far as rattles, electrical connector issues, bearings, plastic pieces...etc...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^
50 - 100k miles...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I disagree. I have owned both and always used all-weather radials andcarried chains in the old Volvo RWD's and never got stuck. In the newer Volvo FWD's I use all-weather radials but don't need to carry chains to go through the same deep snow. Of course you have to know how to drive in snow. Now with my new Volvo AWD XC you don't even have to know how to drive in snow.

My AWD Subaru does well in snow; that is the only reason I still have it. However it was a poor investment. It is now worthless and has severe rust problems.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Hmm, good advice on TCP/IP ports *and* Volvos... You're absolutely right, I need to buy some spare wheels and get snows for the car. It would make a lot of difference. I used Dunlops on the Bronco II and was very satisfied with them.

I also need to learn how to drive this car in the snow. I still tend to drive like I've got access to 4WD, and it just ain't so.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

If you want AWD, you can get a 97 (or so) A6 Avant Quattro for that kind of money.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I haven't wned friven anything but front wheel drive cars for about 25 years, and the reason is htta they do much better on snow. No fishtailing!!! My current car is a 2000 Volvo S40, with the winter package, which includes traction control on the front wheels. It is great in snow.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

Look the old RWD Volvos are very good in the snow. As are the RWD Benzs and BMWs. You _have_ to know how to drive a RWD car in the snow. You need snow tyres. You have to know how to accelerate, decelerate, and brake. These cars were heavy, and a pleasure to handle in the snow, slush and even when the roads were icy. No fishtailing.

That is not to say the FWD Volvos are not good in the snow. They're also heavy cars. I find that all-weather radials seem to handle reasonably heavy snow just fine. However, the way you drive a FWD car is very different than how you drive a RWD car.

I've also driven an older RWD Mustang in light snow -- and I totally hated it. Lots of fishtailing. I had to weigh the car down to make it relatively stable.

The bottom line in my opinion in that: (RWD light American car) != (RWD quality European automobile)

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

I have owned three RWD Volvos, two of them in very snowy climates, and with a good set (4!) of snows they get along great. They are totally comfortable, quite reliable, and WAY safe. I am now driving another RWD Volvo, now in Toronto where it's not too snowy. With the good snows that are on it, I expect a trouble-free winter.

That said, our other car is an '02 Subaru Outback. This is the most willing little car I have ever owrned. I have no worries about my wife spending the winter driving this car. It goes anywhere, runs like a top, and let me tell you, when it does snow, it is the most fun thing to drive. It will pass its second winter with stock tires. I love the car.

Now, having both options, I choose to drive the 14 year old Volvo over the 2 year old Subaru. Mostly 'cause I am a big fella, and like the feel of the big, substantial car. However, either one is great.

RF

Reply to
Ritchard Findlay

The newer front-drive Volvo's are excellent in the snow but they generally do not come with tires that work in the snow. It seems many of the stock tires are more performance orientated and too wide to work in the snow. Put on appropriately sized snow tires and the front drive Volvo's will drive better than the big SUV's with all-season radials.

I have a 2000 S80 and it's fantastic in the snow. If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of snow driving I put the luggage in the back seat instead of the trunk for better weight distribution. The DSTC option is worth it's cost in the snow. It's pretty incredible at higher speeds on slippery surfaces but it doesn't do anything at parking lot speeds so it's still up to the driver not to get stuck in that situation.

Reply to
Spanky

my 740s and 960s were great in snow. my v70 slid all over the place. i rented an XC in Toronto and it was good.

Reply to
inLA

My off the shelf 740s and 960s were great in snow, and I seldom used chains. My V70 couldn't work it's way out of a snowy parking lot. The XC that I rented for a month in Toronto was good.

Reply to
inLA

It's probably the tires, the ones I used to have on my 240 were horrible, even in the rain I ended up sideways more than once. Got a new set when they finally wore out and the difference is like night and day.

Reply to
James Sweet

The v70 was junk and I dumped it. Never got to the 2nd set of tires. That was the car that made me a soon to be EX-VOLVO driver when my last 960 heads for the great beyond.

Reply to
inLA

Reply to
MaryAnne Olsen