Water on floor

Here in the Northwest we have had so much rain that my 93 940 turbo SW has a leak somewhere on the drivers side I have about 1 inch of water on the floorboard...and whouldn't you know it my sunroof doesn't open....so I'm thinking if I silicone around the sunroof it might help?.....give me some thoughts......thanks

Reply to
Michael Rose

Check the tube with the electrical wires that run from the body to the door. On mine the tube had cracked and water was dribbling down the wires into the car. Some silicone in the crack and a layer of electrical tape on the tube did the trick.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hmmm....didn't think of that....I did notice that my seatbelt was a little damp, i just thought it was because of the dampness of the weather.....I'll check it soon....suppose to be sunny for a few days

Reply to
Michael Rose

_000_000A_01C855CF.4B9D7260

Reply to
Henry

This link might help.

Mr. V

Agree with this article. I had an 1986 745TGO - and when it was 9 months old the saga of fixing the leak began (under warranty thankfully). Took several visits to the dealer over about a year before they finally realized the problem.

Water Leaks. I too had wet floors and followed the last advice on the topic by checking the plastic vent covers at the sides of the footwells in the front seating areas. These were fine, so after careful observation and lots of water I found the cause of my grief. The wiring harness going from the body to the doors (electric windows, speakers etc.) has rubber protective sleeve. This had split open and since the entry point into the car is several inches lower than that of the door, and once it enters the car it no longer has the this cover, the split acted like an open funnel, and guiding water in. Open your doors and check the cover. Duct tape worked like a charm. Now I just need to dry out the carpets and rubber under-pad. [More:] I assumed the 740 had a windshield gasket leaking problem and I had the windshield reset. That did not stop the water leak and wet carpet in the 740. It turns out that it is leaking, as others have reported, from the unused left air intake behind the panel at the driver's foot. To discover it I ran a great volume of water through the air intake beneath the windshield and sure enough, after 10 minutes a small, but steady trickle of water was coming in. Unfortunately this has rusted the floor through to the outside. WARNING, if you have wet carpets, get it fixed, the floors will rust through in a very short period of time. The first thing that my mechanic attempted and fixed on mine was the air intake seal at the left bottom driver's foot well. It supposedly resides behind a small plastic panel which has an air grille on it. [Contrary note:] You may find a problem in this area, but the seal on the panel was not the problem. There's water getting in there, probably from the seal around the windshield, that's causing the problem. I'll bet if you pull the trim up, you'll find rust. Ever replace the windshield?

[Another Query:] How do I prevent water leaks in our 1986 740 GLE wagon, especially after moving to a house with a sloped driveway. The problem is water leaking into the interior in the front footwell areas. The problem only occurred when the car was parked facing uphill. It turned out that runoff from the compartment housing the fresh air inlet to the heater and the windshield wiper mechanism was directed into the car by a plastic tab on the plastic plates used to close off the footwell airvent openings.(Older models like my '69 164 and, I assume, contemporary European 740's without A/C have fresh air vents in the sides of the front footwells.) After removing the plastic tab in the blanking off plates, the water leak stopped. [Response:] Replace the cap for the fresh air intake with p/n 6848804; it comes with a new seal. It is a common problem. Break the old one out and pop the new one in. It should click in. [Tip from Zee] For tips on locating and fixing windshield leaks, see

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:02:27 -0800 (PST), "Mr. V" wrote:

Reply to
745TGO