Weird Noise After Shutoff - HELP!

1997 850 GLT Turbo

After shutting off the engine, there is an "electric motor" noise coming from just below the battery area. On the front of the air cleaner box is a black hose going down and connecting to the thing making the noise. What is it? Thanks.

Reply to
polara

Okay, with the help of the excellent Bay 13,

, I now know the "electricmotor" sound I'm hearing is the Air Pump. So, why is the air pump runningafter I shut off the engine? Never did this before. Car has only 65,000miles on it. Thanks

Reply to
POLARA

Another clarification(sorry). The air pump motor is not staying on all the time. It's kicking on for about 2 seconds twice per minute. Car has now been shut off for 2 hours and it's still doing it. At this rate my battery will be dead by morning.

Reply to
POLARA

Hold steady. someone will know. I myself have no idea why it's coming on.

Reply to
Steve J.

Mike -

I'm thinking the problem is the relay. I disconnected the black ground wire on the air pump itself to prevent battery drain. Now the Check Engine light is on. Fortunatly here in California, if it's anything serious, the entire emissions control system is warrantied for 7 years/70,000 miles! Who knew the 97 GLT was a "TLEV" (Transitional Low-Emission Vehicle)? Thanks, as always, for your help.

Reply to
polara