Weird one - '89 245 / 283K

Okay, the original radio in my wagon finally died last week, so I went to the local "baseball cap on backwards car stereo store" for a replacement. They installed a base model JVC AM/FM/CD unit and two new speakers and I was on my way.

The next morning before work I programmed my presets, clock, tone controls, etc.

After work all my presets were gone. I tuned to the local NPR outlet, set the time, and drove home.

Next morning I got into the car started it up and I was still tuned to the NPR station and the time was correct.

Repeating the previous day, after work the presets were gone.

So it works like this. If I leave the key in the ignition (like I do in my driveway at night) the presets stay, when I remove the key (parking garage at work) the presets disappear.

What's up?????

Thanx, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Townsend

i think, if you just insert your key...certain items (electricaly) get initiated...like the seat belt chime, door adjar chime, etc...they myst have tapped into the wrong "power trickle 24/7" power source...i would guess a fulty install...try having the shop verify the have the power wires hooked properly....

Reply to
richbonilla

You leave your key in the ignition in the driveway?! I live in a low crime area but I would still expect my car to be gone within a year if I were doing that.

That said, they hooked the standby up to the wrong wire, hopefully they used a plug in adapter instead of hacking up the car's wiring harness like some shops do.

Reply to
James Sweet

At first I thought they hooked up the wire needing 12V all the time to your cigarette lighter, since many cars have constant power to the lighter.

But after the key in/radio okay scenario, I concur with the idea that they tapped into the chime wire that is grounded when the key is removed. Easy fix for them to do. KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt