weird summertime starter/a.c. problem

our '97 960 wagon, with a strong battery, has started without a hitch through all the winter months...but the air conditioner seems to have a hex on the starter process. a day or two after the a-c has been used, the car won't start. then, after 24 hours or so of just sitting there, the car can be started right up as if nothing was ever wrong. this problem is in its second year -- always in summer -- and has defied diagnosis so far. is there anything an a-c can do which causes a starter not to work? then permit it to work again after several hours? (the battery does not seem to be dead during these non-starting periods -- lights work, seats can be moved back and forth off the battery, little chimes work etc.) last summer, we noted a couple of times that a fan was turning itself on somehow when nobody was in the car and running-down the battery. we assume it was the a-c fan, not an engine fan, although no air was blowing through the vents -- just a whirring noise from behind the dashboard. in both cases, the car was able to start the following day as if nothing had happened. if anybody has had a similar gremlin, would appreciate any insights...and thanks!

Reply to
Art McGinn

don't know about your specific car, but I recall a few years ago I heard about someone who was having a similar problem with his car not starting after the AC had been running... turned out that in his case, water was condensing on the AC tubing, and dripping onto a connector, shorting it out until it could evaporate hours later. Sorry I can't be more specific, it was a while back! You might try looking for any place that water could be collecting or dripping onto the ignition or starter, or perhaps onto one of the computer modules behind the dash...

Reply to
Perry Noid

perry: thanks for your response. that was weird enough to fit my situation. will check it out. art

Reply to
Art McGinn