Well, it wasn't the fuel pump relay after all...

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why it fired right up after I put the new fuel pump relay in, and started first try (second click, as usual) several times after that. (I tried to start it just before changing the relay, just to be sure it still wouldn't start.) It fired up OK in the AM yesterday to go to work. Then, last night it started and died and only started after many, many tries. Today it started really hard and died for good on the way to work.

...Back to plan B. Change the fuel filter, ohm out the in-tank pre-pump and main pump.

At least the turn signals work really well now. (htf could they be related to the fuel pump relay!?)

'83 245 auto, for those who haven't been following along ;)

Reply to
clay

Have you check the wiring harness for self-composting insulation?

Reply to
Tim McNamara

And you've replaced the engine wiring harness already I assume? If not and it's original, it's bad, stop, do not pass go, replace it, otherwise you're just wasting your time chasing your tail.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oh, the harness is really bad. It does need replacing.

I've thought about that being the problem. That would be a show stopper though. Although I have the tools and ability to change it out, I don't have a place to do the work or alternate transportation while it's down. I'd probably have to sell it or scrap it and buy another one, if the only fix is a new harness.

I gooped up all the bare wires with some brush on insulation when I bought it so there aren't any exposed wires. Could be that a key wire has fatigued and broke though...

Reply to
clay

Only takes about an hour to swap, I did mine on the side of the road near my house in the middle of winter, hardly ideal but I needed the car and I was stupid enough to procrastinate until it failed. Hardest part is untangling the crusty mucky old harness from around the intake manifold and then where it goes around under the front of the engine to the alternator is usually real grimy but it's only two nuts down there to remove the clips. The rest is all topside and a straightforward case of unplug the old and plug in the new in its place. Dave Barton sells good late model used replacements for reasonable prices.

Reply to
James Sweet

Fellow procrastinator here...

Wow, that's news. I recall reading you had to pull the intake to do it. Not something I wanted to attempt out front of the condo.

I was planning to make it my Holiday week project... replace the harness, r&r the injectors and intake bits and generally tidy things up in there. Fully expected it to take 2-3 days to get it going.

Now if I can get a harness by tomorrow, I might just be able to save this one!

Reply to
clay

Before you spend the big bucks, Dave Barton has sold harnesses starting at $100 on up. I bought one from him for a VERY reasonable price and it was in great condition.

Contact Dave

clay wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Just sent him an email. We might be neighbors as I'm in So Cal. too.

Next question is, do I get the ignition harness also or just the engine harness..?

Reply to
clay

As far as I know, there is only the main wiring harness you need. I think the ignition harness is only special circumstances.

Also, I don't think the manifold needs to be removed, I think it's only a convenience. I had mine replaced when I pulled the engine, but the technique is to mark every connection before you do the work, maybe take lots of digital pictures. Another way is to lay the new harness beside the existing one and match up all the connections. You might be able to swap connections as you go.

Good luck!

clay wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

In article , clay wrote: [ ... ]

Rent a car to drive for a couple of days while you change the harness wherever you normally park your car. You'll come out ahead.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Pulling the intake makes it easier, but in the 240 and the 740 I did this on I didn't do that as I didn't have a new gasket. If you did have to pull it it's only 9 bolts and a few hoses, it really doesn't add much to the project.

Reply to
James Sweet

In my case it was just the engine harness, the ignition wiring is less exposed to heat and oil so it seems to hold up better.

Reply to
James Sweet

You guys make it sound too easy. Why didn't I do it 8 years ago..? Dave's out of stock with a waiting list so I'm going to have to shop elsewhere. Thanks for all the tips!

Reply to
Clay

Reply to
Jamie

It was the main pump. I put an aftermarket one on it until I can order a Bosch unit.

Reply to
Clay