What performace Mods make sense on '99 V70?

Ok, I like the V70 Xc. It is nice cross of performace and practicality.

I HAD a Mitsu-Eclipse... not practicale in any way, but lots of fun. Escpecially after adding lots of performace Mods, and boosting the boost...

WITHOUT changing the boost, keeping it low pressure, what performace mods actually work....

What I am considering....

K&N Filter. Underdrive Puley Turbo Back Large bore Exhaust & dual exit Hotter Ignition coil Thermostat

A replacement control unit is NOT being considered as premium Gas arround here is EXPENSIVE and the engine run rich enough as it is...

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob Sisson

Non of the above will make any appreciable difference to performance of the

2.5T.

Only a chip and a raised boost level will. Around about 230bhp is possible on regular 95 octane with this engine on the standard turbo (which is maxxed out at this figure)

Get a grip!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.
95 octane? Where do you find that?

Aren't the common grades 87, 91 and 93?

Reply to
Marc Sebens

Marc...consider "mixing up your own brew..."...

---snip---------------------------------

-------------------------------- go out to a paint store or home depot and pick up a can(1 gal) of xylene or toulene ... make sure its 100% (usually is)..then mix in 4 oz of marvel mystery oil for every 1 gal of xylene/toulene that you put in ... just make sure that the xylene/toulene mixture in your tank is no more than 20-25% and you are fine

xylene is 115 oct and toulene is 110 oct so if you have 5 gal of 91 in the tank and put in 1 gal of xylene that makes you mixture about 95oct .. which is good for 15+ psi ... at the turbo...

i would look at upgrading the brakes (if needed) to drilled / slotted discs...look at upgraded chassis braces, upper and lower, and a thick sway bar...unless the car came w/these systems...i would make sure you have a nice, sticky set of performance radial tyres...this will help make the car handle like a dream....imho...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to
Rob Guenther

About the only thing on that list that's even worth looking into is the exhaust, the other stuff is really only useful when you're already running high boost and the K&N filter is really only good at wearing out your engine more quickly. Premium gas is pretty much a no-brainer if you want extra performance, if you run lower grade the ECU will simply retard the timing and give you less power. Increasing the boost pressure would be by far the best bang for the buck, that's the usual first step at increasing the power of a turbo engine beyond stock.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sorry, i am in the UK where our "base" unleaded is 95 RON octane, and super or premium can be 97 / 98 RON octane. Though i believe our scale of measuring octane is slightly different to the US scale.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.