What's a Volvo Worth?

As so many of us have experienced, what a Volvo is worth is how much it sells for, and sdepending on where it is located and the various specific parameters of the car itself, the price of any given 240 can range from a few hunderd to many thousands of dollars. For example, try finding a nice 245, late 80's, with a stick. On the East Coast they can sell for $1500-2000 or so. The same car on the West coast is difficult to find and can sell for $1000 more.

But there are wide exceptions to this. Just moments ago, the following car sold on eBay:

1993 Volvo 240 Miles: 68,810
Reply to
Randy G.

damm!... it just might be. ;-)

------------snip------------------ Is Volvo the new Gold Standard? ;-)

1993 Volvo 240 Miles: 68,810
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

There is that "cult" like following for the 240's especially with low miles which are becoming increasingly hard to find. Supply and demand drives the market. There was a mint 92 dark blue 245 for sale at the local Volvo dealer here in CT. Low miles etc. price $6500. It lasted one week. Where are you going to find a new car ($20,000 and up) that will last as long and be as reliable as the bricks!

Reply to
PK

Wow, that thing looks fantastic inside and out! While the price may seem a bit high, finding a car like that is like a needle in a haystack and it's easy to spend that much restoring an average condition one.

Reply to
James Sweet

I recently sold a '74 144 in very good (but not perfect) condition for $1900, about $1000 more than I would pay for one if I was buying it, and bought an '86 245 ( fully loaded, stick, all accessories work) that is much better suited for daily driving, for $1400. If I hadn't had cash in hand, the wagon probably would have sold that day to someody else. It seems to me that the value of Volvos is a very subjective thing. I personally feel that some people ask way too much for them while others practically give them away. Me? well I'm tight so no Volvo that I'd currently purchase is worth more then $2000 to me...

Well it's that last 10% of perfect condition that costs the most, I've lived with my cars being at about 90%, but I do have about $8K worth of restoration in the queue for my 240 sometime down the road, the nice thing about that is I don't have to do it all at once.

Reply to
James Sweet

More than you paid for it in most cases if it is RWD.

May previous 940; Paid $6,600, Drove it 80,000 mi, Totaled it (not realy ,just put out the headlights n bent the hood) Insurrance paid $2,600 (I kept the car - no title just Cert of Destruction) Major repairs NONE Everything still works (except the Headlighrs)

That's 80,000 miles for $4,000 You pay that much depreciation for the first mile in a new Volvo.

$4,000/80,000miles = $0.05/mile 5 cents per mile

Al

I'll drive 900's till I can't get them any more.

Reply to
940 Nut

can't beat that....plus, the cars (940's) are a blast to drive.....

"$4,000/80,000miles = $0.05/mile 5 cents per mile"

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Volvos are plentiful and inexpensive to buy here in Portland, Oregon. Good source of parts at local U Pull It too. Check prices on craigslist, you'll be shocked how cheap they sell for, and how many are advertised. No rust out here, either.

Reply to
zencraps

Yep, hence the cheap 245:)

Yep, hence the cheap 245:)

If you get there 1st!

Check prices on

I'm sometimes shocked at how much people (like myself!) ask for them!

Volvos increase in value the moment you know you are about to collide with another object which could ruin your life .Like wise small Japanese cars decrease in value in the same circumstance .

Reply to
John Robertson