What's the best model Volvo?

| >>On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:33:08 +0100, | >> taff ( snipped-for-privacy@the-valleys.com) wrote: | >>> The difference in looks between a V70 and a large ford is just the | >>> grill. | >>

| >>The V70 was designed when Volvo wasn't owned by Ford. | >

| > OOOooops (embarrassed look ) | | Why? That doesn't mean it looks like a Volvo. To me the last year | the V70 looked 850-ish was 2000. The front-end was changed again | for 2001 (but this was still a Volvo design). I think the first | cars that Ford had a major input are the new V50 and the 2005 S40. | | I was one of those on this group who really knocked both these cars | for sharing a platform with the new Mazda 3 and the new Focus. | However, after having finally seen and driven the new V50 - it is | definitely not a Mazda 3. I wish I could afford one when they | become available here. I wasn't a big fan of the center console | so much, but it handles beautifully and looks gorgeous.

Good for you! Nothing like an open mind to clear the air.....:)

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

How generous of you. I'm entitled to my opinion but, since it differs from yours, it's "childish."

Reply to
PButler111

Looking like a Brick! Both my Volvos look 'brickish'

The newer Volvos look like regular autos,

Know what I mean?

Still looking for a 960 sedan.

Bill @ Home in Wisconsin, USA Maroon 1989 760 Turbo wagon! w/140k miles ;-} Black! 1989 780 Turbo Coupe w/146k miles 8-}

Reply to
AJ

Nonsense. The s80, s60, xc90, v70 were all VOLVO designs, Ford had NOTHING to do with them. And the new s40 is in style with them.

Only if you want to see a relationship. None exists except in what you are projecting on to the car.

Which one the 122, 140/240? They took a turn with the 760 and the 900 series. The s80, I'd argue, has more Volvo style than the 760, which, by the way, looked a lot like GM cars of the early 1980s.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

Not to me. They are very distinctive. The shoulders, the rear of the car, the muscular look, all are quite distinctive.

Volvos don't have to look like bricks. 122s were round cars.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

Evidently AJ hasn't seen or driven a P1800 either. Shares quite a bit with the C70 in style - although the C70 is due for a re-style soon.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

He wasn't referring to your opinion, but to your characterization of the company as "Folvo". You're absolutely right though, you should keep driving whatever car you feel most comfortable driving.

Proconsul is correct in stating that '95-'97 Volvo 850s are safer, handle better, have more power, yet are more fuel efficient than Volvo 240s.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Perhaps you should check the dictionary under "irony."

Reply to
Tim McNamara

| > What does jingoism have to do with simple facts? Do you understand | > what the word means? | | Perhaps you should check the dictionary under "irony."

I know what "irony" means...:) Was there a point to your comment?...:)

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

| >Rubbish - Volvos look like Volvos today, as they always have..... | >

| >| The older body style Volvo is a true classic. | >

| >Really? How does it qualify as a "true classic"? They were, and are, great | >cars - better than most others available, which is why I've owned a number | >of them and drive one today, but this year's models look just as much like a | >Volvo as any other. | >

| >PC | Looking like a Brick! | Both my Volvos look 'brickish' | | The newer Volvos look like regular autos, | | | Know what I mean?

No - what is a "regular" auto?

Volvos are unmistakably Volvos.....

| Still looking for a 960 sedan.

That's your privilege - good luck in your search. I'm looking at a new XC90 or XC70......best Volvos yet designed, built and sold.....:)

PC

| | Bill @ Home in Wisconsin, USA | Maroon 1989 760 Turbo wagon! w/140k miles ;-} | Black! 1989 780 Turbo Coupe w/146k miles 8-} | |

Reply to
Proconsul

| >>Rubbish - Volvos look like Volvos today, as they always have..... | >>

| >>Really? How does it qualify as a "true classic"? They were, and are, great | >>cars - better than most others available, which is why I've owned a number | >>of them and drive one today, but this year's models look just as much like a | >>Volvo as any other. | >>

| >>PC | >

| > Looking like a Brick! | > Both my Volvos look 'brickish' | >

| > The newer Volvos look like regular autos, | >

| | Not to me. They are very distinctive. The shoulders, the rear of the | car, the muscular look, all are quite distinctive. | | Volvos don't have to look like bricks. 122s were round cars.

Yup - dead bang right....!

Remember the old P544s? Looked like cut down '46 Fords......:)

PC

| | Ben | | >

| > Know what I mean? | >

| > Still looking for a 960 sedan. | >

| > Bill @ Home in Wisconsin, USA | > Maroon 1989 760 Turbo wagon! w/140k miles ;-} | > Black! 1989 780 Turbo Coupe w/146k miles 8-} | >

Reply to
Proconsul

| >There are none so blind as those who will not see.... | >

| >By all means, you are entitled to YOUR opinion and to drive 240s as you | >wish. I owned six 240s - all were good cars, but the newer ones are | >infinitely better by any standard you can invoke, except for the ability to | >work on them yourself because they were much more simply made than today's | >cars are. | >

| >You don't have to love Ford, but childish insults unsupported by anything | >remotely resembling facts doesn't help make your case.... | | How generous of you. I'm entitled to my opinion but, since it differs from | yours, it's "childish."

No, it's "childish" because it's "childish" - disagreement can be quite adult and quite interesting......:) Read your own comment in re Folvos, that's "childish".......:)

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

Yup - you got it! I never got more than 24 mpg with any 240. My 850 routinely averages 28+ on the road and often tops 30 mpg. That's driving aggresively and averaging 75-80 mph.....

850s have better handling, better interior appointments, are far more comfortable and the driving position is imrproved over older models. They were good, but the new ones are better.....

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

The older cars, 122 etc, I think of as collectors cars, that is they sit in a garage until taken out to car shows etc. Lovely to own and look at, but not a working vehicle. The 2, 7 and 9 series on the other hand are still practical working vehicles, huge loading space ( estate version ) and , the main point for me, rear wheel drive. My 940, full leather, is like driving a big comfortable armchair.

As far as looks go, in the UK anyway, and in my mind, there are Volvo's, VW beetles and all the other cars.

Taff...........

taff

taff wrote: My 940, full

And the s80 is roomier and more comfortable. Also has a much improved ride quality over the 940. What I like about the 940 is the tight turning circle and very good visibility.

In the UK?? What about Citroens or Renault Megrane or various Alfa Romeos? There are plenty more stylish and unique cars sold in the UK than there are sold in the U.S.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

reminds me of what I say about my wife. Anyone who drives faster than her is a maniac and anyone who drives slower than her is an idiot. perspective is everything

Reply to
Michael

I keep track of every gallon, and I consistently average 26 mpg driving around town (and I live in a fairly small town, less than 2 miles to work). It does even better when I take it on the highway for interstate trips.

Reply to
PButler111

It was a shortcut referring to Volvo after Ford. There was nothing childish about it. It was efficient. Again, any opinion that differs from your own you seem to feel the need to denigrate.

Reply to
PButler111

Agreed, and that is my point, the Volvo brick style is a unique style. But we all have our own preferences, and a good thing too.

taff

| >PC | | It was a shortcut referring to Volvo after Ford. There was nothing childish | about it. It was efficient. Again, any opinion that differs from your own you | seem to feel the need to denigrate.

I think you need to look into the nearest mirror - you're describing yourself.....:)

PC

Reply to
Proconsul