What year/model wagon should I buy?

I'm looking to buy a used wagon, probably not newer than 2000. I've heard that the post-1998 models are problematic and troublesome due to the computerization of the vehicles. I have also seen folks in this forum complaining about the '96 850s.

Does anyone out there have suggestions on what year/model I should buy? Do the AWD models have any particular repair issues? I'm looking for something with low cost of ownership.

Would anyone recommend a Subaru Forester over a Volvo wagon?

Reply to
clewis

What are you looking for in a car? Do you want power and handling? The best fuel economy you can get? Do you plan to work on the car yourself? I personally have a particular liking for the 240 and 740 Turbo wagons but those, especially the former are getting a bit long in tooth so finding a real nice one for sale is rare.

For newer stuff, the 850's are generally regarded as good aside from '93 which had a few issues. People like their 960s but they're a bit more complex, the V90 is essentially the same car.

Reply to
James Sweet

Over the new FWD ones, yes, absolutely. Given the choice between an older RWD model and a Forester, I'd probably take the RWD Volvo (although the Forester does come with a manual tranny and RWD Volvos were auto-only in the US after 1990 or so).

-Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Szafran

Thankfully that's not too difficult to remedy, after doing a few slushbox to manual conversions I think I could pull it off in a day assuming all the parts were on hand.

Reply to
James Sweet

Mechanic we use (volvo only, and independent) likes 2. He likes the

1998 model year and the 2000 model year; we haven't discussed anything earlier. Doesn't like much of anything after 2000. Don't know any more details, ie, awd, etc. Since he gets our 2 cars about every 5k miles for routine maint. i trust his judgement. So if I were to buy another one that's what I'd be looking at.
Reply to
jsmit

Thanks for all the advice. I found a '96 850 that I'll be taking in for a pre-purchase inspection tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Reply to
clewis