What years were ABS introduced as standard on the 200, 700, and 900 series wagons?

I want a used volvo wagon with anti-lock brakes. What years should I consider?

Reply to
PCB

I would go for any 200/700/900 after 1989. Prior to that the ABS was mounted in the trunk area and prone to getting swamped when drain holes get blocked. After '89 the ABS was mounted under the hood in front of left strut tower with the control unit inside the cabin.

Cheers, Peter.

"PCB" wrote in message news:130920031942438964%name+ snipped-for-privacy@A-ho-L.com... : I want a used volvo wagon with anti-lock brakes. What years should I : consider? : : -- : ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ O ALERT: Please help a friend find : ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ / / his abducted son by visiting: : ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ //

¯¯¯¯¯¯ ©"""""""""""© Thanks.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

It depends where you live. In 1990 ABS became standard on all 740 models in Australia, but in UK / USA only the higher end models got it (Turbo & 16V models), it was optional on the lower end models. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT (B230F) - daily driver '73 Volvo 164E - awaiting repair & restoration

Reply to
William Liao

It was an option until the early 90's, my '87 740 has it, from what I gather it was pretty rare in that year though, I don't think any of the older ones had it but I could be wrong.

Reply to
James Sweet

I believe you are incorrect. We have a '91 740 turbo (US) and I am 99% sure there is no ABS. We have no light on the instrument cluster, there is nothing under the hood with all the brake lines attached and there are two brake lines running to each caliper. This car also has manual seats and they are cloth, not leather.

Bob W

15 Volvos ('58-'91)

William Liao wrote:

Reply to
Bob Wennerstrom

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Optional until 1991, then standard in 1992. Of course, something like

75% of the models that came with leather and automatic in 1990 and 1991 came with it added as it was a huge selling point back then - luxury loaded Volvo now even safer!(or something like that).

Of course, that makes finding leather/stick/abs models really tough.

My 1990 240 (sold a few weeks ago - sigh - looking for another Volvo - a

*wagon* this time*) had sunroof, black leather, stick, but no abs(bummer).

It was a good car, though - so close to perfect. All it really needed was a better color, abs, and to be a wagon to be perfect. So - I am looking again for another perfect Volvo. :)

Here's a question - what's your favorite color? Mine is the gold/beige metallic. A nice, soft gold color with a hint of green and beige in it - almost like the yellow Audi uses on their cars - shines almost like an opal. :)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I don't have a favorite colour. I like the dark silver on the 960 we have, I like the light silver on my Golf TDI, I like blue, red, and black makes any car look good (as long as it is polished, but I would never get a black car). Platinum green on the V70's looks good, but the Titianium edition looks much better.

Basically I th> > Our 1985 740 GLE didn't have it, and it used to slide thru intersections

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hi Bob, you are right. I just checked the Volvo Owner's Circle for car features in the Volvo US website and found out that ABS is standard on '90

740 Turbo in US but in '91 it became optional. I think it's because in '91 they released 940 and 940 Turbo became the main Turbo variant, while the 740 Turbo is "downgraded" to a cheaper alternative (although still a good car - and I personally still prefer 700 series sedan's boxy rear end). _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT (B230F) - daily driver '73 Volvo 164E - awaiting repair & restoration
Reply to
William Liao

Reply to
<tundra