Wheel compatibility

A friend of mine wants to get rid of a set of four alloy wheels and tires off an 850- by having me take them for my car. I've got a 240 and while the stud spacing measures correctly, eyeballing them it looks like they are too wide (by a good 2" if not 3") and the diameter looks too large. Am I right? If so I'll probably just put them up on Craigslist for him.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

The offset is different, you can fit them with spacer plates, I don't personally care for that solution but people do it and it does work.

Reply to
James Sweet

There are three considerations in addition to whether the stud holes are in the right place:

  1. Rolling Radius You can calculate this reasonably accurately by adding the rim radius to the tyre width times the aspect ratio. This needs to be within a few percent from old to new tyre, otherwise the gearing and speedometer/odometer readings will be wrong. You can sometimes get away with a larger rim and a lower aspect ratio tyre.
  2. Tyre Width If the new tyres are substantially wider than the old ones, there's a good chance that they'll foul the bodywork on full lock or sever bumps - it depends on how much clearance there is to start with.
  3. Offset This is the horizontal distance between the plane through the centre of the rim and the face which bolts to the hub. The wheels on front wheel drive cars invariably have a larger offset than those on rear wheel drive cars to cater for the constant velocity joint. If you fit FWD wheels on a RWD car, the centreline of the tyre will be too far inboard - reducing the track and increasing the likelihood of body fouling. You can sometimes compensate for this by using spacers.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks, everybody! That was very helpful.

Reply to
Tim McNamara