Which brake pads for S70?

My 1998 S70 have 80K miles, and I've been told that my front rotors need replacing. So, I'll be doing that soon, and I figure it's time for the brake pads too. I've gotten the standard Volvo pads up to this point, but I'm wondering if it's time to switch.

I'll be buying from FCP Groton, and their choices are Mintex ($33), Rofren ($34), Volvo ($45), PBR Deluxe ($28), PBR Metal master($35), PBR Ultimate ($53) and Textar ($45). I used to get PBR Deluxe for my 240DL, but I think I read that Volvo pads are softer which prolongs the life of the rotors (at the expense of the pads).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Chiu

For me the choice would be purchase the rotors on the outside just make sure that the rotors are a brand name "Bembro" or equal & purchase the brake pads from the dealer Glenn ASE Certified Volvo Automotive Tech

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Did they change the compsition on the newer cars for the pads to be softer?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

... and they are much quieter. There are other brake pads that last longer but they are usually problematic with squealing. It is always safer to stay with the Volvo pad, they seem to be the best compromise with longevity and quietness. When I used other pads, you could hear me stopping a mile a way and yes I used the gel on the back. I gave up and went back to Volvo pads.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I have Mintex pads (not sure which ones- but I am guessing a medium compound) on our 97 S70 at the moment. Braking performance is excellant, lots of feel on the pedal and plenty of bite without too much fade unless really provoked. (i.e. smoking hot!)

They've only done 16k at the moment but have plenty of life left. Dont seem to be chewing the discs (rotors) up either.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I have seen the suggestion a number of times but wondering why that should be? Other cars don't generally seem to have trouble with most pads cheap or otherwise. I have one wheel which squeals intermittently above 70kph and has more than usual resistance when jacked up, don't know what sort of pads they are. About to try bleeding the caliper & look for damage, still find it hard to believe it might be just the type of pad which makes it bind even if it's the cause of the squeal.

Reply to
jg

I told the FCP Groton people I was buying brembro rotors, and I asked what brake pads would work well. The guy was quick to suggest Mintex.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Chiu

Ah in Australia we usually have choices of Bendix, Silverline (Chinese) & who knows what else including genuine. People are generally quick to recommend Bendix if not genuine for any particular car, but I still can't see why it would matter more with Volvo than other cars.

Reply to
jg

textar are the official makers for audi vw etc so you cant go wrong

Reply to
Tony Penner

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I like to keep these at factory spec original pads. They will work predictably.

Read this link and consider just how dangerous it is.

jr

Again, what is it about Volvos that brake pads are so critical and why does everyone make a big issue about discs? I have used all sorts, including PBR on all sorts of cars & never noticed any problem except some noise with most recent Ford (which used to belong to a mining co & was totally worn out from the wheels up). Also never skimmed discs as they never ran down to metal for long enough to do real damage. Now there is something with the brakes on this my first Volvo which I need to look at soon, must be a weak spot with volvos?

Reply to
jg

Definitely Volvo pads on the S70-I have tried both Minex and PBR Metalmaster and ended up changing out. S70 and 850's are temperamental. I have a 240 as well and I can get away with Repco's for longer life and less dust. dg

Reply to
David

Maybe volvo disks are too thin (discounting the cooling blades), mine"sing" with very slight pressure & movement, like wine glasses in the washing up. Maybe that's why so many seem to machine or replace them and the resonance causes trouble with pads.

Reply to
jg