Why clean it?

Are you as anal as I am? I suppose there are all sorts of extreme levels of cleanliness when it comes to cars, but I hate to work on dirty cars.. I'm not talking about show-car clean where the underside of the dash is painted to match, rubbed out, and waxed, but the sort of clean that cars in regular use should get. There are a lot of folks who are happy if the steering wheel doesn't get their hands black, the seat is clean enough to not transfer any filth to their clothing, and the windshield is clear enough to see through during daylight hours. I am somewhere between those two, but closer to the former than the later.

Since I am the one that works on my cars (and motorcycle) almost exclusively, I try to keep them clean. When I get a used car it usually takes some time to get it to the point I like. I hate cereal and M&Ms in the spare tire well, I hate little bits of leaves in air vents, and since I don't smoke, I hate leftover tobacco products in the ash tray. But beyond that, I try to keep all the mechanicals clean as well. Clean bolts and nuts are easier to handle, and the gritty grease doesn't transfer to all my tools if the car is kept clean. Tools don't slip as easily and that;s good because my knuckles don't heal quite as well as they use to.

I am slowly getting my new-to-me 245 back into shape. Today I decided to clean the door hinges and strikers/latches on the driver's side. They were disgusting. Years of black accumulations from lubricant and road grime. Sure, better black and greasy than dry and worn out, but how lazy is the shop that merely squirts a little of whatever is on hand in an aerosol can on a moving part and walks away after charging .25 hrs. labor? Does it take that much time and effort to put a rag behind the hinge, squirt, then give the hinge a quick wipe after being lubricated? I suppose it does.

I spent the best part of nearly two hours cleaning the four hinges and two latches. Using Simple Green, a toothbrush, and a stiff, short-bristled scrub brush I sprayed, scrubbed, and sprayed. After it rinsed clean with a squirt bottle filled with water, I blew it all out with compressed air, the used a "Wash and Wax" product to clean up all the painted areas on the jambs. A little light lubricant to the moving parts, a wipe, and the doors are looking and working almost like new.

So why go through all that effort?

1) The hinges will last longer 2) Every time I shut the door and get that smooth motion and solid latching I get a feeling of pride of ownership. 3) People getting into my car won't get their clothing soiled by the dirty, greasy latches and hinges. 4) It will be a lot easier to work on in the future. 5) Grease draws dirt, dirt draws moisture, and moisture causes rust. ...and most importantly: 6) It was a lot easier to spot that loose hinge bolt that wasn't even finger tight!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Steve Shuttleworth

I have thought - I know, I'll convert the Volvo to run on LPG or - I'll convert my jaguar transmission from auto to manual or - I'll just pop out and lay a new patio

Never once have I thought - I must go and clean my door hinges!

Whilst your attention to detail is most commendable and you have demonstrated the very highest level of engineering standards, I really think you ought to get out more!

Reply to
Steve Shuttleworth

It's not something I do all the time- that was the point- it's a one-time thing, and now that they are clean they will be kept that way. That's the way it should have been in the first place.

Cleaning them also got me to find that loose bolt, which very possibly saved a damaged door. Certianly, that alone was worth the time it took to clean them.

I am somewhat retired, and so like to see my money go as far as possible. I tend to keep my vehicles for quite some time (I am still riding my 1979 BMW R100RT that I bought in 1981). Keeping things up is part of getting them to last.

Going to do the other side tomorrow!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

I'm completely anal retentive about cleanliness, my car needs to be neat as a pin inside and sparkling outside other than during the winter when there's no point in even washing the outside because it only looks good for a day. A spotlessly clean car is easier to work on, stays in better condition, and just looks and feels new indefinitly. It also causes others to treat it with more respect, few people will eat a candy bar and throw the wrapper in the back seat if there's not already a pile of garbage back there.

Reply to
James Sweet

If you keep the door hinges clean and lubricated they'll stay quiet and they'll last longer. If you ever decide to sell the car these sorts of details will do a lot to improve the value.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have been working on cars for quite some time (late 60's)- semi-professionally (part time in college), and for myself before and after that. I was always the guy who people would come to when "it's overheating" or "I think I have a bad valve." Even taught an auto repair class out of my home for a while. One thing I always hated was working on dirty cars. If you have to open an alternator, rebuild a carb, to just change a water pump, it is nearly impossible if the car is greasy and crud-covered. All that grit gets onto the bolts and wears out the threads as well as making accurate torquing impossible, not to mention leaks. And what about changing a spark plug? How many spoonfuls of dirt do you want down in the cylinder? None for me, thank you.

With the hinges and latches/strikers cleaned, the doors on my 15 year old 240 shut with a sound that would make any owner proud. I do need to replace the latch pins on the striker (where the plastic cover is worn) but the doors still sound great.

Here's another- how can you spot a leak if the engine is covered in muck? Clean motors also run cooler (although that does not seem to be a problem with Volvos).

Anyway, the person who appreciates a clean car the most is the person who has to work on it. It just makes good sense to keep your mechanic happy- a clean car and a six pack left on the front seat with a bow on it doesn't hurt! ;-)

BTW- I always read you posts, and have found you helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks for participating in this group! You are truly an asset around "these parts."

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Reply to
John Robertson

I'm sure clean and lubed door hinges would've made the value of my last couple of rustbucket 245s positively soar!

Reply to
Bob(but not that Bob)

I duly sympathise Randy. I can't get my wife or the kids interested in looking after their cars never mind cleaning them. If it's not broken then don't fix it seems their attitude. Seems like if they leave it long enough the Dad will sort it. Bloody annoying.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Coles

Well it depends on where you live, here cars don't rust out. They might mold if they sit for a few years but rust beyond a surface dimple where the paint got chipped is very rare.

Reply to
James Sweet

the difference is negligible on closing; attempting to do a "mint" detailing on an obviously "not mint" car is a big waste of time. Volvos are great, but they are still not investments, and they depreciate horribly like any other car.

Reply to
Stef Caunter

Depends on where you live, I can't think of many non-exotic cars that hold their value as well as Volvo, BMW is close, and some of the more luxury cars. No production car is an investment but a not mint car can be made very near mint with regular and meticulous maintenance.

Reply to
James Sweet

They'd be considered semi-exotic here, which I think actually tends to detract from their resale value as an old car (relative to their new price). At a certain age they only fetch about the same price as anything else, though they might hold that for a few years longer. Nobody will pay more for an old car because it's in better shape than average... they want cheap first then the best available, which to most people is the shiniest body.

Reply to
jg