why do bad drivers choose volvo's

That's about as inoffensive as I can put it :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy F

On 10/11/03 9:14 PM, in article 3faf659c$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, "Andy F" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

As well as grammatically incorrect.

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

3faf659c$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com,

under

Sorry Hamish, I'll try again.

Why is it that Volvos tend to be chosen by people of poor driving ability?

Is that better?

Reply to
Andy F

On 10/11/03 10:21 PM, in article 3faf7564 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, "Andy F" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Yeah, but I was taking the piss as I thought you were. Where abouts are you? Here in Australia Volvo drivers have been considered a danger on the road as they were in "safe" cars and so they were safe from being hurt in accidents. While that *may* have been true 20 years ago, I have yet to see any reports/analysis of such that would suggest the marque has drivers that are any worse than others.

I have been a motorcyclist for a number of years, as it was my only source of transport and I didn't need a car. One particular motorcycling magazine had free stickers to put on your helmet that claimed "Volvo Aware Rider" as it was alleged that Volvos were over represented in accidents that involved bikes. I have never seen any statistical analysis to show this one way or the other. It may have been that Volvo was advertising their cars as the safest vehicles available at the time and it was a case of the tall poppy syndrome (or something else).

I have test driven a number of Volvos from the mild 10V 2.5 L to the more exciting high pressure turbo derivatives and have enjoyed doing so. I would not hesitate to buy one just to be able to return the insults that Volvo drivers cop for, driving a Volvo. (Have you seen the Bloody Volvo Driver adds?).

However if you ask someone if they are a below, average or above average driver, perhaps it has been that Volvo drivers aren't too concerned with their own ego inflation to claim they are anything but your average driver?

Cheers

Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

With an (alleged) email address like yours, do you really expect to be taken seriously?

What evidence do you have? To what geographic region do you refer?

How inclusive is your assertion? Fo example, are you saying:

  • all Volvo owners are, by definition, bad drivers?
  • all bad drivers drive Volvos (and no other makes) but some good drivers also choose Volvos?

Etc.

Reply to
Roger Mills

one if requested. I live in the south of England. There is no evidence to prove the abilities of a driver statistically so it is simply an opinion which is widely shared in this country. In a recent TV program pole to find which were those worst driven car in the UK Volvo predictably won, followed by BMW then Mercs. I tried to word the question carefully so as not to say Volvo drivers are bad drivers, but I do feel from my experiences on the road that Volvos do tend to attract the worst drivers. It seems to be an "I am all right if I crash" attitude which breeds complacency and inconsideration. Don't get me wrong there are many Volvos that are very well driven and many other cars makes are driven badly. They do make some nice cars it is just that they seem to carry a reputation for bad drivers.

Reply to
Andy F

What kind of crap is this? Nothing like generalizations! If this is true why is the insurance for my 1999 S70 CHEAPER than what I was paying for a 1992 VW?

Reply to
Jordan B.

Yeah well, we own the road, so get out of our way.

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

Must be the location, around here Volvos have always been associated with the mature middle class family person, and the insurance on them is generally about as cheap as it gets. It's the SUV's I particularly watch out for, I haven't noticed correlation between any particular brand and the ability of those driving them.

Reply to
James Sweet

Nowhere near as bad as the clowns in SUVs I contend with on the roads every day. I see way more of them in accidents than Volvos.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

It is down to the jealous nature of other drivers who generally drive lesser cars than Volvos. Who can compare a "Jelly-Mould" (Ford Sierra) to a 440/460 without feeling left out in the cold?

Cheers, Peter.

: > > > > That's about as inoffensive as I can put it :-) : > > > >

: > > > > Andy : > > >

: > > > As well as grammatically incorrect. : > >

: > > Sorry Hamish, I'll try again. : > >

: > > Why is it that Volvos tend to be chosen by people of poor driving : ability? : > > >

: > > Is that better? : > >

: > >

: >

: > With an (alleged) email address like yours, do you really expect to be : taken : > seriously? : >

: > What evidence do you have? To what geographic region do you refer? : >

: > How inclusive is your assertion? Fo example, are you saying: : > * all Volvo owners are, by definition, bad drivers? : > * all bad drivers drive Volvos (and no other makes) but some good drivers : > also choose Volvos? : >

: > Etc. : >

: > Hi, the address is like that to stop unwanted mails I will give my correct : one if requested. : I live in the south of England. : There is no evidence to prove the abilities of a driver statistically so it : is simply an opinion which is widely shared in this country. In a recent TV : program pole to find which were those worst driven car in the UK Volvo : predictably won, followed by BMW then Mercs. I tried to word the question : carefully so as not to say Volvo drivers are bad drivers, but I do feel from : my experiences on the road that Volvos do tend to attract the worst drivers. : It seems to be an "I am all right if I crash" attitude which breeds : complacency and inconsideration. Don't get me wrong there are many Volvos : that are very well driven and many other cars makes are driven badly. They : do make some nice cars it is just that they seem to carry a reputation for : bad drivers. : :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

I chose mine because they're blindingly fast, handle like they are on rails and if I ever make a mistake and crash I'll walk away from it. Plus when I cut someone off and give them the finger I'm almost instantly lost in a crowd of gray 240s and they can never figure out who it was. For these reasons they are also great getaway cars for bank jobs. Dave Shannon daveshan_at_spamsoneonelse_cox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1988 240 DL 19X,XXX 1984 245 DL 20X,XXX 1984 245T 19X,XXX '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 14K
Dave Shannon

Although they may not have many prangs they cause them through there indiscisive and unaware driving. __________________________________________________________

Reply to
Andy F

two lines of thought with the bad driver who knows they are bad. Either get a really small car so that you have some chance of controlling it or resign yourself to the fact you are going to hit things and get the biggest heaviest lump of metal with the most airbags so that when you do at least you will be OK.

Reply to
Andy F

If by "chosen" you mean going through a well reasoned, calculated, decision making process then (if the premise is at all true) it's probably because it makes sense. It would be the same reason that so many parents put their green, beginning teens in older Volvos -- it's because they are a lot safer than most other cars. Other intelligent, very good drivers who value function over form (though the brick is a great form) choose Volvos for the same reason -- for protection from the idiots and other bad drivers out there. Long live Darwin!

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

Yes american cars are generally crap, that's why I don't own one, and yes the Brittish have produced some very cool cars, but high quality? My dad had a Jag for a while, beautiful car inside and out, but the damn thing sat in the garage broken down more than it was ever on the road, my friend has a Lotus, same thing, very cool machine but it's always broken, Aston and Rolls, both an extreme of excess, I don't know how the reliablity of those is but if you can afford one I suppose it doesn't matter. Now what does any of this have to do with Volvos? Or are you just another damn troll trying to stir things up?

Reply to
James Sweet

You are the answer to, "What is the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?"

Reply to
not my real hairline

On 12/11/03 1:02 AM, in article 3fb0ecac snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, "Andy F" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Thems are fighting words! Comparing US driving choice to Aus!!

Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

Reply to
Andy F

If you are going to get abusive, lay off posting messages to this newsgroup.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes