Will a turbo tear up a lockup tranny

I am required to keep my 1990 765 Tic on the road on a shoestring budget...after researching a few sites I was under the impression that I had an AW72 tranny going bad on me. I ended up finding a AW72L for a very reasonable price...then after pulling the dead tranny, I found I was replacing an AW71 with an AW72L...it's working well now, but upon further review it looks like many "experts" think the Turbo is too strenuous for the Lockup function. Does anybody have real road experince with such a combo????

Should I start my search for an AW71 to replace this AW72L because I am doomed to have it fail?

Reply to
ChampaignTurbo

I don't have direct experience, but would surmise that as long as you keep your foot out of it I don't think it is going to grenade on you. Now if you use the turbo will full throttle redlines on a routine basis maybe there is something to worry about.

There are also some reports of factory equipped A71L transmission in turbocharged bricks. See:

This list shows specific years which came with the turbo AW71L combination:

Another concern might be that the AW72L version supposedly used a different set of gear ratios than the AW71 and was designed to match the power/torque curve of the 16 valve B234 engines.

All that said, I would drive the car reasonably and not worry about it unless something starts acting up.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Sorry, I intended to include this link as well:

John Horner

Later Turbos had a lockup AW71 - they started in 1992, IIRC. The AW72 is designed around the lower torque curve of the 16 valve engine, so full throttle upshifts should be avoided. The transmission is at its most vulnerable when shifting - notice how most new cars (including Volvos) have a method of having the transmission control unit "request" torque reduction from the engine control unit when they're about to shift. Other than that I'd bet you'll have no problems.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for the insight...I'm not prone to full throttle upshifts, so I'm feeling a little more confident that the AW72L will work sufficiently for me. Mike S.

Reply to
ChampaignTurbo