Window washer reservoir

I have a crack in my 1988 740 Volvo estate washer reservoir. It looks like I will have to do a repair on it as its an estate so not that easy to find in a breakers as it has two water pumps, one for the front one for the rear.

What can the N.G suggest as a means to do a repair. The crack is around 1 inch long near the front washer pump.

Reply to
no

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is not hereplease@not here.com:

I've had this problem with a couple of vehicles. Unfortunately, polythene (or polyethylene), which the reservoir is made from, is notoriously difficult to repair without some sort of plastic welding equipment. Very little sticks permanently to it, so don't expect miracles. A small crack like this may not be too bad, but the problem is exacerbated by the fact that water may eventually ingress into the repair and cause it to fail.

I have had some success with hot-melt glue (you'll need an appropriate heated glue gun from your nearest DIY store), forced into the crack with a stick while it is still molten. I've also patched a hole by cutting a patch from an old polythene bottle and used this with hot-melt glue. It lasted a few months, maybe a year. If you can figure a way to work from inside the reservoir you may increase your chances of success. Degrease the area thoroughly with spirit, and abrade it to help things stick. I've seen a patch of GRP used, but the resin is less flexible than polythene, and it eventually flakes off.

If you look in the Yellow Pages under Plastic Repairs, or some such, you may find a local firm of plastic welders who can help. This would be permanent, but expensive for a 1 inch split. Probably still cheaper than a new reservoir though.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

You could ask IPD's technical staff who may be able to recommend a filler/adhesive that will work ok.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Try J B Waterweld