Wipers on my '85 245T don't work! Help!

The wipers had gotten to the point that the only setting that would work was the "high" speed. And, then I had to turn them off at the right time to get them to stop in the down position. Now they don't work at all. I'm hoping it's a relay and not the motor but, I'm not familiar with the 240 to know if this a common or know occurrence. Any help from the collective wisdom of this group would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Reply to
Don

Is the motor noisey? Then a magnet has fallen off the inside of the case. You can remove and reglue.

Mike F

I'll second the loose magnet inside the motor case. You can remove the cover without removing the motor (two screws in the end). Use an epoxy and do your best to get the magnet in the same position inside the case. Clean the case and magnet and use a contact cleaner on the contacts. The contacts control where/if the wipers stop.

Brick_0

Reply to
Brick_0

No, the motor was not noisy. Just the regular sound of an electric motor.

Reply to
Don

It's not an uncommon problem. The extra heat from the turbo seems to roast the wiper motors (which are above the exhaust and not far fromt he catalytic convertor). I've never seen one go bad on a non-Turbo, but I've replaced the motor on every 240Turbo I or my friends have owned. You can usually get a used one for $25-35 from a salvage yard that will continue to work for years unlike fixing the one that's already been cooked (BTDT). Save yourself the hassle and pick up a salvage motor, they're a very easy replacement.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

To confirm whether or not the motor is the problem, unplug the connector and check the voltage at the motor when the wipers are on.

Reply to
Brick_0

"Don" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com...

To me it sounds like the soul of the relay who controls the wipers has left the building... To locate the relay, then remove the carpet in the drivers position. Here you find a black metal plate which covers the relay. This relay wil fail if your windshield isn´t tight, and water are comming inside the vehichle.

Jan Denmark

'83 244DL 300K miles - and still counting

Reply to
Jan Lassen

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privat.ha by Jan Lassen dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

[snip]

However, the relay only interrupts the ground contact in the motor to provide the intermittent function. The high speed, low speed and park functions are handled by contacts inside the wiper motor.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

could be a rusty motor. mine only worked in high since that provided enough oomph to get it going. wouldn't work at all in a few weeks. you can pull the plug to the motor and apply 12V to the various leads to see if it's the motor or something before it.

Jon

Reply to
J Shu

Motor always possible, but have you checked the stalk/switch? I've replaced a couple of those.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

I just had a similiar problem, where the wipers only were working in normal position, and i had to stop them at the right time to get them stop in the down position. Changing the relay solved the problem.