wipers stript gear?

My wife has announced that "the volvo's wipers don't work any more"

Well actually she started them when they were totally frozen to the windscreen, (It's winter in Australia and we don't see that much ice, so I guess I will forgive her).

now they just flop about.

how do (a) get to the bit that has had it? from inside the car? (b) what is the part I need?

urgent job..car is a 1985 760 T

Paul

Reply to
newsman

never had that problem here in washington (or that cause either) ...haha to both notions. anyhow, for my 85 745, it was a matter of tightening the lockdown nuts. there were black aluminum nuts that held the wipers in place as i recall [the car was retired in dec 97]. i think 12 or 13 mm. just reposition the wipers correctly when they are off and then tighten down. that should work for a while. you may have to take the arm off and clean the inside of the end of the arm and the aluminum shavings off the shaft and then retighten.

in time you may have to buy new arms but not likely. you may also have to keep the proper wrench in the car, more likely.

plan c is get a scraper for ice/snow. we even keep those handy in sweden ... but there in my ford, not a volvo!

newsman wrote:

Reply to
v70xcREMOVE

Hey thanks,

yeah just checked it, its just the arms.

We have just moved to a colder part of the state so there are new things like that I have never seen before.

A while back I wrote the group about a problem with the steering in the car.

It came down to when I drove around twisty roads the steering would lighten up mid turn...very scary.

Changed many a part in the front end, struts, tyres... still no good

got advice from the group to look in the rear

then adjusted the konies in the rear to be on full tilt.... still no good

finally it worse and was doing it on every road.

And I found it, the bracket that holds the steering rack had broken, tightend it up and off I went,. I now have the best handling volvo about.

has any body else had this??

Paul

Reply to
newsman

Same model/year as mine! I also have had the wiper problem - the post where the wiper attaches on the outside is undoubtedly stripped :-(

The assembly can be replaced from the outside with one from a wrecking yard (good luck!) by removing the wipers and unfastening the grill - removing the four (IIRC) screws along the top edge of the firewall. One of the screws up there holds something else... leave it alone. Also those plastic thingies that hold the rubber bit are going to be very fragile by now.

As a patch, you can remove the wiper arms (the one nut holds each) and clean the surfaces with alcohol or brake cleaner. Then apply a liberal amount of medium strength LocTite to the posts and tighten the arms down firmly with the nuts. That works pretty well, but you want to warn your wife not to try them again when they are iced up. I'm sure they will get floppy again if she does. If you get really desperate other cements will work better, but are you sure you never want to remove them ever again?

A measure I have considered but not tried is to fasten them down in exactly the position I want them and drill a hole in each from side to side, then put a tension pin in the hole. Another possibility is to remove the nut and drill a hole in the gap between the post and the wiper arm, parallel to the post, and fit a tension pin there so it acts like a Woodruff key. But so far the blue LocTite is holding.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee