wire windshield wiper system of a 262

hello!

i'm looking for help on repairing the wiper of a 262 volvo. i suppose the system isn't unique to the model and i hope at least someone should have encountered it.

the problem is that the wiper system has fallen apart and tough the wiper motor is fine (can hear it), the wipers don't work. opened up to discover a system i've never seen before. it's hard to describe for a non native speaker but it's something like steel wires (or threads) connected to metal sticks, those wires supposedly flipped around an oval cyllinder like which has a hole through where a sort of bolt come which then goes through the cover and where the brushes are put on.

sorry for this awful describtion but hopefully someone wpuld recognize one and could either describe or maybe scan in a picture (from a manual) which depicts how the system worrk., because i have no idea how to assemble it back again. i suppose i could finally think of smth if i took all the panel and could access the place easily, but you know it's a lot of work to do and maybe there's a chance to repair it by accessing it by just removing the glove box (the part on the passangers side has fallen apart).

regards,

Ingars

Reply to
Ingars

It'll be the same as any 200 series car, easier than trying to describe it would be to find another car to look at. Is there a wrecking yard nearby?

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm afraid it is actually something no-one's ever seen before. the wrecking yards contain volvos with the 'normal' system which isn't of much help. as i said there are sticks to which the cables are attached within which go oval object which should be sliding as the stick moves and then moving the brushes.

anyway, i took of the upper of the dashboard (and everything else in the process) and took of the whole system. assembled it on the table and then squeezed it in as a whole again. i suppose this is the most pricey (workload to benefit ratio basis) work that can ever be done on a volvo.

Ingars

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Ingars

It sounds like the setup in all the 240s I've worked on, it's hard to say without a picture though. I know mine has cables that connect the rods to the wheels that drive the wiper arms.

Reply to
James Sweet

well, yes this must be it. as common you may find it in us, here even the local dealer refused to deal with them not even talking about any other service recognizing the system.

eventually i got it working but it took a lot f work. i removed all the rods and wheels and also the triangles that bolt up to the body from below and through which the wiper arms go. then assembled it on the table and then put the whole system back into place after having removed the upper dashboard to free space between the windshield and the dashboard. with all the in-between understanding who it should be, removing parts that were not neccessary to remove pretty tricky job it was.

although it's done now, id be thankful to hear an advice how the system should be repaired the 'easy way' or at least the most rational way. my problem was that the wheel that connect the two rods was off the cables and i really couldn't imagine how can the wheeb be stretched back in to the rod without removing the whole system.

Ingars

Reply to
Ingars

Or how it came apart....

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I had to do that reconnect with a 145, once. Presumably the cable stretched just enough to come off the pulley when the wiper caught on a chunk of ice. Reassembly involved repeatedly wrapping the cable around the pulley and just, well, fiddling with it until finally I got it back together. I was about 21 at the time, and know I couldn't do it again today.

Reply to
mj