Won't start after change of timingbelt

Volvo 2,3L Penta won't start after change of timingbelt, the old one was broken. The belt have three marks, one for each sprocket (camshaft, distributor and crankshaft), so the job should be a piece of cake :-) Let me add up what we do:

  1. Adjust the crankshaft, camshaft and distributor merging the marks on the belt pullies and engine block.
  2. Assemble the belt, with all the three marks fitting the marks on the pullies.

In this position the piston no. 1 and 4 are on top, the ignition distributor points on no. 4, so I belive no. 4 should fire in position. But it won't.

Som.

Reply to
Svein O

Are you sure that you are bring the engine to TDC, number 1 cylinder firing?

Sve> Volvo 2,3L Penta won't start after change of timingbelt, the old one was > broken.

Reply to
Jamie

You probably havent installed the spark plug wires correctly, when all marks align you should have spark at cylinder 1. No 1. is the cylinder closest to the cambelt.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

The distributor should point to number one, not four.

Did the marks line up like this?

zencraps

Yes, the crankshaft are in position TDC.

Reply to
Svein O

No 1 is at the front of the engine no 4 is at the rear. Check on Turbobricks for ignition lead diagram that you have the right lead going to the right plug. If the leads do not go to the correct plugs you are likely to have the timing 180degrees out and a no run condition.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Leave the marks as they are. Pull the distributor, turn the rotor 180* and reinstall.

Bob

Reply to
User