WOW! e-Codes are amazing!

I had my e-code headlights in about 2 months, and have only been taking short night drives in a very dark and poorly lit rural city. I run the Narva 100W bulbs, lights precisely tuned. I could see the light brighter on the street, but I wasn't really impressed.

Until I drove on the Interstate. WOW! The road light is nicely laid out brightly, but so much light hits the reflectors, roadside signs, shoulder. Because it isn't flooding, it isn't reflected off of the air or particles in the sky. Unless there is something to reflect the light, you never know it's there.

Oncoming traffic isn't flashing me, the light is exactly where it needs to be. It's like everything lights up exactly where it needs to be and not where it doesn't.

I feel safer, so much safer at night.

Wow!!!!!!

Reply to
Jamie

Big difference huh?

I tend to get comments whenever I turn on my high beams with someone in the car, they're so much more useful than the DOT high beams, long dark stretches of curvy roads are flooded with light and visibility is WAY better. Not to mention they make the car look really sharp.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Jamie

How do I get them in Canada?

Reply to
Boris Mohar

You can go a couple of routes. The first route is going for the genuine article -- authentic European lenses. But, that's quite expensive. Probably about $300 per side. Then there are alternatives like I did - DJ Auto, made in China, but about $130 per side. I buy from FCP Groton.

Here's the kicker, they bolt right in to your existing holes, but how you light them is another story.

You can install the e-codes and then run standard wattage bulbs without any re-wiring. I think standard is about 60W high and 55W low (around this wattage.) I opted for the full upgrade, 100W highs and 90W lows. But, to do this you can order a Daniel Stern wiring kit and bulbs.

It isn't hard to do, but what you are doing is upgrading to 12 gauge wiring to handle the higher voltage, adding relays and putting in fuses.

The lenses aim the light exactly where it should be, allowing the higher wattage to shine MUCH brighter without blinding other drivers. You should never run high wattage bulbs with standard lenses, but with the e-codes you go to a whole other level.

Daniel Stern knows his stuff, but he isn't high on the Chinese e-codes. To each his own.

Boris Mohar wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks. Daniel sure knows his stuff and lives up to his name ;)

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Rightfully so. The aftermarket crap is just that, crap. That's not to say that the DOT lamps are acceptable either, just that there's a large difference between quality e-codes and DJ Auto lamps.

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Though on the same note there's a large difference between the DJ Auto lamps and the original DOT junk. Personally I'd spring for genuine but anything is a vast improvement over original.

Reply to
James Sweet

I believe the wiring upgrade is to handle the increased current draw, not the increased voltage. Rated wattage/12v = current. The voltage remains constant.

Reply to
Mike