XC70 - 2001 V70XC - Tire Update

Thanks to all who gave me some input with the Pirelli Scorpion tires. But, in the end, here is what has happened...

  1. I went through posts in Tirerack and Consumers Reports and other online tire sales companies.

  1. I also re-evaluated the speed rating on the tires...Volvo ships the cars with a "H" speed rated tire which is good for 130 mph. That may be well on the Autobahn, but, living here in the wonderful Big Apple with our Billionaire mayor, Hizonor, Mike Bloomberg controlling the budget will immediately remind you that doing anything more than 55 to

60 on most of our highways in NYC will severly limit the life expectancy of the suspension.

  1. So, based on all of this, I settled for "T" rated tires(118mph) and based on Consumers Reports, put on Goodyear Assurance TripleTred Tires. It was rated above a "9" on all aspects in TireRack.com. In addition, it was rated above a "9" for snow handling and noise.

So, the end results..

  1. I can hear my self think in the car.
  2. I can hear my self talk in the car.
  3. Since I am self employed, my handsfree microphone doesn't pick up the road noise and my clients can hear me well.

  1. Though we have had almost no snow here in the city, my drives upstate have been uneventful in the snow.

  2. My gas mileage has actually gone up atleat 1 to 1.5 mpg on the avg. on highways.

And the tires were around $92.00 each at Mavis Discount tires online.

So...thanks all for your input and happy, safe driving.

GGO in good ol' NYC.

Reply to
gomraju

I'm glad that you made the right choice. I just got new Scorpions last Summer at about 50K. One thing about the Scorpions is that they leave a lot of black on my driveway and the damned Homeowner's Association wants me to go and scrub my driveway down to remove the rubber from the concrete. Ludicrous. I can just see the water police coming around coming around and fining me for washing down my driveway.

Reply to
Administrator

You've probably heard it before... it's not the max speed you should consider.

So let's just say, you need replacement shock absorbers.. Do you pick the cheaper ones that give you a softer ride but compromise on the "control" of the vehicle??

Probably not.

Tires are part of your suspension. So you want at LEAST what the manufacturer sells it with, in fact, some insurance companies in accident investigations MAY not pay out because you are using underrated and non-recommended tires for your application. It's all part of your safety system. Tires also make your car handle, stop, and ultimately GRIP! Lower speed rated tires on your car may seem like a good idea to your pocket book, and 9 times out of 10 it won't be a problem. But what about that 1 time?

Your tires are the only thing connecting you to the road.

In buying the best tires for my Volvo, I am keeping my vehicle as safe as it was designed to be.

JMHO

Reply to
M.R.S.

That is one characteristic of Perellis. The get their superb wet traction by actually almost bonding with the pavement. What is remarkable about the Scorpions is they get the superb traction and good mileage. This is unique among Perellis. I don't think there is a safer tire on the market.

My 850 had Goodyear Eagles and just a month ago had a tire failure. This is unusual today. Obviously I will avoid Goodyears.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

M.R.S

Thank you for your thoughts. As a Mechanical/Marine Engineer who has sailed on ships and held positions as Engineering Director in Hospitals and Nursing Homes:

  1. I would never compromise on safety for economics.
  2. I also do not fall for the marketing bullS%*& from manufacturers and marketers.

This is akin to hearing dealer say "If you don't put a Volvo part on, you are compromising your car". I put quality parts in my cars, not the manufacturer's 50% to 100% marked up parts. So, I believe that in today's days and times, buying a good car doesn't mean having to make uneconomical decisions.

BTW, the only shocks I have put on my other Volvos have been Bilstiens.

GGO

M.R.S. wrote:

Reply to
gomraju

Actually, I love the Scorpions...it's the homeowners association (A bunch of little Hitlers) that I can't stand.

Reply to
Administrator

A resident in a local community is trying to get the community to require the horses pulling Amish buggies have diapers so they don't soil the street. He must have stepped in a road apple and tracked it into the house or into a business meeting and became the center of attention. Anyway, the city council is politely putting him off. I think people like this need to get a life. Picking other people's nits isn't very productive.

Reply to
Stephen Henning